Best way to peel shallots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
Which method has the least waste and is easiest for peeling shallots? Is there a better way than these?

1) Tip the shallot, crush like a garlic clove (caution: the center rings of the shallot can shoot 5 feet across your kitchen, even with a gentle pressure!), remove root end, and peel?

2) Drop shallots in boiling water for 30 seconds, then shock in ice water and peel?

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Which method has the least waste and is easiest for peeling shallots? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rita,

I cut off the top end, then slice the bulb in half. I then remove the skin by peeling it away from the bulb. The halves then lay flat for mincing and chopping.

Ray

I'm guessing you're wondering how to remove the peel without seeming to always need to remove the first layer of shallot at the same time: carefully. They can be quite a PITA, seeming to take much more time than they should considering their size. The peels often seem glued to the flesh and one must either use the tip of a knife to remove (what are often only) tiny strips of skin--or say hell with it and slice through the first layer of flesh, top to bottom, and remove that layer along with the skin. For a shallot or two, the latter approach is what I use: I'm not spending time in 'shallot frustration'!

For a bunch of shallots--say a dozen or two meant for roasting or pan caramelization, or for when needed for a big dinner--I blanch the shallots (45-60 secs in boiling water), ice water plunge, then drain on kitchen towels, patting dry. The skins peel off much more easily.

Thanks, Ray and Kevin. Yes, I wanted to do a big batch to chop and freeze. Since I was going to chop them, the crushing method actually worked pretty well, except for the annoyance factor when the centers occasionally flew out.

For one shallot, I use Ray's method. Many times I don't have fresh shallots on hand when I need them, but I love having the chopped shallots in my freezer - thanks for that tip, Kevin. I find myself using a lot more shallots than I used to! I learned to put about 4 ounces of chopped shallot in a pint ziploc bag, press it to a thin layer, and freeze flat. If the layer is too thick, one can't break off a piece as needed.

Right, Kevin. That first layer seemed like such a waste, almost 1/4 of the shallot. Next time I do a big batch, I'll blanch them.

Thanks,
Rita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back