Smoking a duck!

Victor

TVWBB Member
Just wrapping up my smoking of 5 lb duck stuffed with orange and onions for flavor not eating. Dipped duck in boiling water ten mins before smoking. Did itkind of high heat 275 plus with no water in pan.eing. Useing apricot wood to smoke with will see how it comes out. Victor

The duck came out great I used high heat 320 for last45/50 min to try and get skin crispy but it was still not what I like. Any ideas on how to get crispier skin? maybe I should take drip/water bowl out? or just higher heat longer? Victor

Victor,
I've smoked a duck a few times and it's come out tasting great... BUT... smoking won't give you crispy skin. The fat doesn't render in a way that you'll get the skin you're looking for. You can try putting it under a broiler or in a covered very hot (i.e. 450+ degree grill) and hope for the best. You will however risk overcooking the meat. My experience has been that good smoked duck is great, and worth sacrificing the skin. I have taken the flabby skin and rendered the fat out of it in a pan over medium-low heat. Rendered duck fat is terrific for whatever may ail you.

Or try the Chinese method. Let the duck cool after steaming and smoking (very light smoke), then dust the duck with cornstarch and deep fry it at high heat (375-400F). Carefully. Very carefully.

Back