How many charcoal chimney starters do you own???

Rick Reynolds

TVWBB Super Fan
Just curious. I already had 2 and this weekend a guy at the Flea Market pulled out 2 right in front of me no worse than the 2 I have. I asked him how much and he said $6 for both. Couldn't pass it up. Won't need anymore in my lifetime!

got three. my first one is a cheapy that has lasted just fine and now two weber's. one is starting to warp a bit but it should be ok for awhile. they do rust so take care of them.

I bought 2 Weber chimneys when I bought my first WSM back in 02. Only ever used one of them. I sent my spare to Lance when he returned home from Iraq earlier this year. I figure the rusty old chimney will go at least another 6 years yet, prob longer. I only ever light a 1/2 chimney at most, so no need for more than one.

I could well be wrong...but it seems that the high heat could slow down the rusting process.
I know that the chimneys get rather discolored due to the high heat with heat rings around them.

Mine is not the Weber Chimney but the heatbeads chimneys made here in Australia as we can't get the Weber ones here in Oz and mine quite often gets left out in the elements and has yet to show signs of rust.

Cheers

Davo

I've got three, two cheapos and one Raichlen (that was actually cheaper than the cheapos
icon_biggrin.gif
, got it from Winners for $5 with a few scratches on it).

I wouldn't pay $40 for the Raichlen but it is nice, I like the handle and the bottom basket. They could have used heavier gauge steel, it seems flimsy with a load of lit lump in it.

I have the Weber and one of the smaller ones you see everywhere. Used to use both of them when I was using a horizontal (Char Griller). Since I have the WSM and Performer haven't had to use the smaller one much.

Lot's of life in both although well used. I have my eyes on the Raichlen since I have been doing steaks over the chimney. Looks like it might fit two steaks more comfortably than the round one from Weber (usually do 1 at a time).

But not in a hurry to pick up another chimney. Especially since Shawn says they seem light gauge.

I had a cheap one before I bought my Weber one. Found that I rarely used the cheap one so threw it away - just did not need another "thingee" to keep up with around my grill and WSM.

Ray

the raichlen one is bigger but not by much. when i saw one it was chincey. unless you can find one really cheap forget about it or make yer own.

I have 3, 1 cheapo from Lowe's that is now on camping duty w/ the SJS, then 2 Weber's--I bought a backup 2 years ago...still haven't needed it.

Kevin H

I own 2, although I've only used them at the same time once when I was loading up my kettle to grill a big load. They're both cheapies but do the trick no problem.

2 Webers and 1 cheapo which I modified by drilling a lot holes and making a grate for the bottom to it make burn half way decent.

I've got one of the cheap ones - I find it holds just the right amount for cooking on my 18" kettle, and about 3/4 full is just right for firing up the WSM using the Minion Method.

I have one(1) which I hardly use as I lite my OTG with an Electric starter that works great!

Richard

WSM, OTG 22 1/2" with Smokenator

I have 3 .. 2 Weber's and 1 Charbroil (i think). The Charbroil get's used for the WSM's and the Weber's get used for the RK.

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I noticed on Amazon, they have two different models.

One is model 87886, and the other is model 7416 RapidFire.

Anyone know the difference?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chip H (Hersh):
I noticed on Amazon, they have two different models.

One is model 87886, and the other is model 7416 RapidFire.

Anyone know the difference? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Answer here. Read reply from Clay Cope.

Back