Mike Marlow

TVWBB Fan
INGREDIENTS

* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 3/4 cup unsalted butter
* 1 egg white
* 2 tablespoons corn syrup
* 3 tablespoons chopped Stem ginger
* 1 Fresh Jalapeno chili (seeds in or out, more or less as you like, different variety maybe) very finely chopped
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1 teaspoon ground cloves

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 2 large cookie sheets.
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add egg white, and corn syrup; mix until fluffy. Stir in the stem ginger and chili (we tend to use 1 chili, but you can use more to your taste). Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger, and cloves; stir into the egg mixture. When dough starts to come together, mix with your hands to form a smooth dough.
3. Form dough into 1 inch balls. Place balls on a cookie sheet 2 inches apart, and press down with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar. Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, cookies should be golden brown. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before Moving to a rack to cool completely.

I got the original recipe (for ginger cookies)from a US friend and loved the cookies. I then started adapting the recipe as both my wife and myself like a bit of heat. I also have another great cookie recipe which started life as choc chip cookies but now has chilies as well. Both go down very well with our friends over here even though they are a bit surprised on first taste. They always come back for more.

Back