Thermapen question

Richard Hinton

TVWBB Fan
I have a Thermoworks RT301WA meat thermometer, which advertises a six-second response, and that seems about right.
The higher end Thermapen lists a three-second response in its literature.
I am wondering of an upgrade to the Thermapen worth the expense?
Anyone done it? Thanks.

To be totally frank- no.
I've made a test between a very cheap thermo against the Thermapen, and I'm sure that the finished food will be the same.

Have not had the time to publish my test yet, but if you compare the price, the answer is no.

I have a Thermapen and probably would have bought the 301 if it was available. The 3-4 additional seconds shouldn't make a difference. As a temp/relief prep/cook I've worked in about a dozen kitchens over the last 8 mos. and not one had had a Thermapen.. all cooks used an analog thermometer.

I love the thermapen. Ok, you may not need to spend that much for a internal thermometer, but every second I have the smoker lid off sends the WSM temp up. It is a luxury, but it really works and works well.

My vote goes for no. The Thermoworks RT600C is about $25 on Amazon and works great. You can buy 3-4 for the price of 1 Thermapen. Same manufacturer, so quality should be equivalent.

i'm going to say yes. The cost is totally worth it.

seconds are precious when you're grilling a fat juice dripping slab of meat over hot coals.

4 extra seconds means 4 seconds of wide open oxygen available to your hot coals covered in flammable grease. POOF! Flare up!

I guess it depends on your cash flow. I use a simple digital Polder for quick IT checks ($29). I also have a few quick read analog therms as a double check ($5). Finally, I have a Stoker with the meat therm and a Maverick. I've read great things about the Thermapen but I can't justify another therm purchase.

That said, if I was rich, I'd probably have one in every colour
icon_smile.gif

Back