Gouda Shrimp Puffs - snacks for the turkey fryer

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
Next time you have the turkey fryer going, mix up some of these and cook yourself some snacks while the turkey's cooking.

@@@@@
Gouda Shrimp Puffs

1/2 cup butter (or good margarine)
1 cup water
1 3/4 cup flour
6 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups Gouda Cheese, shredded
2 Tbs chopped chives
1/2 tsp Black pepper
Tabasco to taste - at least six or seven good shakes
1/2 - 3/4 lb good shrimp, shelled, boiled, drained, and chopped

Melt margarine in saucepan, add water, and bring to a boil. Add flour; stir till mixture leaves the side of the pan. Remove from heat and add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Drop mixture by teaspoon-fuls into 350 oil and fry like hushpuppies - about three to five minutes, or till golden brown. Drain on paper towels. (Alternately, heat 1/2 cup oil to 350 in a large skillet or electric skillet, and fry them there for about 5 minutes till golden brown, turning once.)

Makes about six dozen if you keep them as small as the recipe says. Ours tend to get a little bigger. I like to add a coupla tablespoons of chopped roasted green chiles to the mixture for just a bit of a kick.

Can be kept warm in 200 oven for up to an hour before serving (according to the recipe... they never stayed around that long when we've cooked 'em.) I got this recipe from one Marjorie Szabo in about 1989, to go into an Oklahoma service sorority cookbook that I was putting together. Not sure where she got it.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time 12-15-2004
_____

Back