Smoked Flank Steak

Joe P

TVWBB Member
I know flank is usually grilled, not smoked. I was pleasantly surprised when I smoked it, how good it was.

I had about a 15 oz piece of flank steak left in the freezer from the last time I grilled the other half.

I was cooking pork butt(Renowed Mr. Brown)and decided to cook the flank as well for lunch. I marinated the flank overnight in about 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tbs soy sauce, 1/4 cup maple syrup, 1 clove chopped garlic and about 1 tbs fresh chopped rosemary.

The flank & butt went on at 7:15 am. I used 2 chunks of cherry, 2 chunks of hickory. I checked the temp about 8:30 am and right on 250 and it stayed there all morning. The flank was done around 10:30-11:00 am. I let it cool a bit then sliced it thinly accross the grain, put it on a roll and put a little KC masterpiece sauce on it.

The outcome. Totally delicious!!

Only about 3-4 more hours to go for the pork butt.

Hi Joe!

I did 2 flanks like you did. About the same temp and time. Did one in rub and the other smothered in garlic and rubbed with a little season salt. Whoa dude!

This is a pic of the flanks. Sorry dial up users!

Aloha!

Greg Kemp

4509597535.jpg

Great idea!

Greg, I like the chicken & flank combo, especially for a smaller gathering or just a family dinner. I did a very small flat with some butterflied and brined chicken one day. The flat was mediocre at best, I had to foil it. I think the flank is perfect time & size wise to do with chicken...and you don't have to drop $20 to have a little beef with your chicken!!

Back