Mini smoker Question

Mac

TVWBB Guru
Does the bowl of a SJS fit on the top of the Tamale Steamer? My question stems from this posting.
I thought that someone who has built one could just flip the Pot and check the fit, and post their findings. Pics would be a bonus.
Thanks,

ok, now i see why you were refering to two sj's in another post. no, i don't think it will. you would have to make a lip of some sort. i don't think its needed as there is more than enough room under the sj lid. but ya got me thinking.

ok, i went out and tried this. if you look closely at the pot you will see that the upper lip is curled outwards so the bottom part of the sj will fit on top but not over the pot. i suppose some brackets could keep the bottom part on but the sealing is questionable.

Guys, if you look at the SJG mini smoker thread, go to page #24 and scroll about 1/2 way down. (I would post as a Quote but can't seem to figure out how) It describes how to do this, and even has some pics of the "mini bullet" as it is called.
What they suggest doing is to cut the rounded lip off at the very top of the pot. this will make the diameter at the top of the pot the same as at the bottom. Then using the bottom of a SJS as the top of the smoker (to gain several inches of clearance)
I hope this helps,
Tim

here is the quote;

Mini Bullet:
For those wanting to add a third cooking rack, or desire more clearance on the top rack, one way to gain about 2-3 inches more space is to cut the rolled top ring off the top of the steamer, then use the bottom of a donor SJS for the top lid, with a handle from a Genie garage door handle. It is a perfect fit. I mounted the top grill rack on the very top of the barrel, since there is a lot more room in the oval shaped base of the SJS. I mounted an Academy accessory rack on the very bottom of the steamer, since it is small enough to slip past the steamer indention, to hold the ceramic disk. The bottom cooking rack is set on top of the indention, then one could mount a center rack. The distance from the very top vent to the rack mounted on the indent is 15.5". I used an angle grinder with a thin abrasive disc to cut the ring off the steamer, smoothed the cut edge with a mill file and another disc. If anyone wants photos or additional details, send me a personal email.

LDean

Re: Mini Bullet

George quoted my prior post on the construction of a Mini Bullet, using the SJS bottom, as the top. I used a Genie garage door handle as the handle, with spacers to lift it some, filling the leg holes of the SJ bottom with stainless steel bolts. It works fine, but the handle gets a little hot. If I can find a donor SJG bottom, I think it would be preferable, using the Gold bottom as the top, by using screws to secure the two side vents of the Gold bottom. This would allow the use of the rubber handle from the SJS, attached to some flat metal bar stock , attaching to the top for use as the handle. One other thing: It is necessary remove and replace the handles on the steamer barrel, so the bottom will slide over the top of the steamer. Simply drill out the brads, fill the holes with pop rivets. I used screen door pull handles to replace the tamale steamer handles. Hope this makes sense.

Back