best spot to drill temp hole

G

hello all,

i would like some input on the best spot to drill a hole for a candy thermometer. also, do i need a special bit to get thru the wsm?

thanks all

Rob, I drilled and mounted mine opposite of the top vent. Instead of a candy therm I would suggest a Tel-Tru or Grainger 3" dial. They have therms made just for Q-ing and are very easy to read. I have a 4" stem on mine and so far I have had no problems with it touching my ribs or butts. I used the Unibit#4 like Mike suggested and came away with a nice clean hole and no chipping of the porcelin. Just be sure and run it kinda slow and let it do the work instead of trying to force it thru. Take Mike's advice and go to the thermometer mod section, lot good advice there. Let us know how it goes.

Candy thermometer, I'd just put it in one of the top vent holes.

A dedicated dial type thermometer, that might justify the trouble. In which case I'd mount it in the center section just under the top grate.

I drilled through the rivet in the top vent and use a Weber #9815 Replacement Thermometer. Click here and scroll down to "Drilled Lid Vent Rivet". I'm very happy with the results.

Back