Texas > Lockhart: Kreuz Market

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Kreuz Market
619 N. Colorado St..
Lockhart, TX 78644
www.kreuzmarket.com

Went here in March as part of my Lockhart barbecue crawl. You can read all about Kreuz Market and its history online, I won't bother to repeat it here. Let's just say it's a lot like Smitty's Market and it's a lot different from Smitty's Market...same style of ordering as Smitty's and a similar smoke room, but on a much newer, larger, cleaner scale.

The barbecue was OK. I had already been to Smitty's and Black's by the time I got to Kreuz, so maybe that affected my impression of the barbecue there. What I remember is the beef shoulder and brisket both being very salty.

Having said that, I would not discourage anyone from trying Kreuz. It's a must-go destination if you're ever in the area.

Facebook photo album of Kreuz Market

Regards,
Chris

Drove up from San Antonio to check this place out. The night I went the place was empty. Later I found out that Texas was playing at the same time in the Big Twelve Championship Game in Dallas and everyone was glued to their TV. No TV here but I like the food a lot, especially the smoked pork chop and the sausage. Bought a T-Shirt there, when I got home it had made all my luggage smell like a smokehouse. :)

Kreuz Market does 45% of its business on Saturdays, so if you go any other day it's not that busy. Then there's that football thing, too. :)

And yes, I brought home a t-shirt and a cap and both had me reliving my Kreuz experience for many days. Both smoked to perfection.

Regards,
Chris

The moistest, most tender brisket in Lockhart on the day I visited (Wednesday, 8/28/2013). I was stuffed to the gills by the time we made it to Kreutz's, but I wish I could have stopped here first. Their huge wood lot in the back is extremely impressive, too!

I finally took the time to get over Kreuz Market. Got the "Lean" brisket and sausage, probably the best brisket I've had in awhile! Just the right amount of salt and pepper, perfectly cooked just a slight tug and it pulled apart. Sausage just melted in your mouth! Way better than Blacks IMO.

Went to back home to TX and had the opportunity to get down to Kreuz. No Forks and No Sauce. Me n Tim are in opposition... I like Black's better.

Last edited:
My wife and I visited Kreuz Market in October 2015 as part of a Central Texas BBQ Crawl. You can read about our experience with photos here:

IMG_6126.JPG

Went to back home to TX and had the opportunity to get down to Kreuz. No Forks and No Sauce.

Kreuz Market finally breaks with tradition, starts offering forks and BBQ sauce to customers.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/kreuz-market-sauce/

Last edited:

Back