Canning Soup?

Bryan S

TVWBB Olympian
OK, so you might have read that I made up a Big Ole batch of chicken corn soup tonight, somewhere around 3.5 gals or so. I would like to can some of it and I'm guessing I'll want to break out the 1950's Presto pressure cooker for this and pressure can it at 15psi for X amount of time? Am I on the right track? How long do I need to cook it at 15 psi? Ok I'll be honest here, I could just get out the book for said 1950's pressure cooker, but what fun would that be?
icon_smile.gif
The soup came out so good that I feel I must send some out to some of my Peeps.
icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks, Bryan

Bryan,

Here's a link. They obviously don't have instructions for chicken corn soup (which sounds fabulous btw), but I would think you could extrapolate from their other soup recipes [disclaimer: I'm not sure if the recipes are interchangable]. I recently canned some tomatoes with their recipe...man what a job. But at least I'll have some nice fresh tomatoes this winter for pizza.
icon_wink.gif
Knowing the work that goes into canning and the uncertainty of not having a tested recipe, I'd just freeze the soup...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil R.:
Bryan,

Here's a link. They obviously don't have instructions for chicken corn soup (which sounds fabulous btw), but I would think you could extrapolate from their other soup recipes [disclaimer: I'm not sure if the recipes are interchangable]. I recently canned some tomatoes with their recipe...man what a job. But at least I'll have some nice fresh tomatoes this winter for pizza.
icon_wink.gif
Knowing the work that goes into canning and the uncertainty of not having a tested recipe, I'd just freeze the soup... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Phil, Thanks for the link. I'm getting ready to can up some Roma tomatos for my pizza sauce. Local farm has them for $6.00 a bushel and I might have to get 3 or 4 of them. My Roll tender out at work brought me in his Villa Ware veggie/fruit mill which looks like it will work very well for the toms and the like. I also have several hundred apples on the tree this year and instead of letting them fall to the earth I just might have to make some apple sauce out of them.
icon_biggrin.gif

Just an alternative thought: I haven't canned in years--simply because of the vac-pack/freeze option. Of couse, it doesn't work for some stuff like jams and jellies (it does for fruits coulis and sauces), but I prefer it for most soups, sauces and vegetables.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Just an alternative thought: I haven't canned in years--simply because of the vac-pack/freeze option. but I prefer it for most soups, sauces and vegetables. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah Bud, never did can it, just froze it instead. Getting geared up again for the chicken corn soup. Freezing corn today and tomorrow.
icon_smile.gif
Cold front coming through as I type with the garage door open. The partially dried leaves on the tress are sure sounding nice tonight.
icon_cool.gif

Back