cedar planked mashed potatoes on Genesis

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
CedarMashed4.jpg

CedarMashed3.jpg

CedarMashed2.jpg

CedarMashed1.jpg

Yep, old girl still has a couple of good cooks in her. Nothing better than the smell of smoldering cedar. Potatoes were a hit as always.

That's what I was thinking too, Brian. Nice twist on baked potatoes.

I may have to convince the budget committee (who also makes awesome mashed potatoes) to let me try this. I have some cedar planks in the closet that need to be used and this may be a good way to use them.

Well, that's a new one. Great idea! I'd be interested In the recipe too. I'm looking for a side for tonight's dinner.

I make the mashers just like I would for say Thanksgiving. After mashing I put them in the fridge to cool for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes I mix in about 3/4 cup shredded cheddar and three sticks of string cheese cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Then back in the fridge for a day. Next day soak a cedar plank for an hour, form potatoes on plank (stay away from edges as they do expand) and place on grill over med. heat 30 - 40 minutes until outside has formed a crust and inside is hot.

When not planning ahead enough I have put them in the freezer for a couple of hours to rapid cool.

Great idea Larry! I guess the cheese melts and keeps them from getting dry and stiff. Gotta try this one, what a cool presentation.

Back