English baked beans

Mark F.

TVWBB Member
Hi,

Does anyone here have a recipe for English style baked beans?? I've hunted high and low and can't find one.

Thanks!!!

Mark F.

I have seen them described as just "navy beans in a not very highly-seasoned tomato sauce", and also as complex a recipe as can be found here.

Good lord, that is complex! Thanks for the link!

It's probably easier just to hunt down a can of 'em for my beans on toast....

Mark

You might try the Kroger Store brand of vegetarian beans .. not quite as nice as Heinz or CrossNBlackwell English beans, but not bad. Add a few spices or tomato paste to add a little more richness to the flavor.

Hi Mark
Beans come from a can. Heinz is probably the norm. The recipe Doug provided (in classic Doug style
icon_smile.gif
) is unbelievable, I've bookmarked it and might have to try it on principle (I like saffron), but I would be surprised if anyone actually made their own beans.

Nice with eggs at breakfast.

morgan

That's one of my (many
icon_biggrin.gif
) pet peeves. Recipes that aren't really recipes, but modified boughten food. "I've got a really great recipe for baked beans. First get two cans of baked beans..."

Always reminds me of Steve Martin's joke, "How do you become a millionaire? First, get a million dollars..."

This isn't English Baked Beans or the molasses variety, but it sure is some of the best beans I've ever had:

Bigwheel’s World Famous Top Secret Prize-Winning Pinto Beans
2 lbs. washed pintos
1/3 lb. salt pork..or few strips bacon..or pork hock (I fry up about half a lb. of bacon 'til it's not quite done then add it in)
1 onion
2 split and seeded japs or serrano peppers
3-4 garlic cloves
1 Tbsp. dry mustard
1 Tbsp. wooster sauce
3 Tbsp. chili powder (Try mix and match Ancho, Gebhardts, Chimayo, etc)
1 can extra Hot Rotel Tomatoes with Habs (I use the Tomatoes with Green Chilis-turns out hot enough for me)
salt and pepper to taste

Cover beans with 2" of water and soak 1 hr. Drain and refill to same level. Add the salt pork and bring to a rapid boil. Reduce heat and put on the lid. Simmer till nearly done but not quite then add the other stuff and cook another 20-30 mins. Once you add the tomatoes they don't tender up any more.

Add water anywhere along the way if they get too dry. Veggies can be chopped..purreed or floated depending if your comp cooking or eating at home. If you feeding wimmen, chillin, or yankees you can use only half a can of the maters.

If you want them smokey..stick them in the smoke in the coolest part of the pit with the lid off for at least a coupla hours. (The most important part, I think. Gives 'em a real nice smokey flavor.)

Here is a link for those of us addicted to the traditional morning English Fry Up.
<A HREF="http://cheerslove.org.uk/" TARGET=_blank>2 eggs, sausage, beans, tomatoes, 2 toast, large tea, cheerslove!
</A>

Back