Digi Q II vent uestion?

I have the draft about half open and I always leave the top vent open 100%, with or without the smoking jacket.

thanks Ed,

Well I'm on my fourth or fifth cook with the new DigiQ and \I installed in on a new WSM (#3 for me) if I leave the top fully open past the ramp up it spikes up to 250 or so. The draft is only open about 25%. So for last nights smoke I cut the top down to 1/2

i'm wondering if thats what others are doing.

Does it matter that i use the 10cfm viper fan??

If your only source of input air is through the mount for the fan and the fan isn't running, I wouldn't expect enough air to flow by the fan to cause runaway temps. Do you think that maybe you have an air leak somewhere else, perhaps around the door or an open bottom vent?

Tom, I am definately by no means an expert onn the DIGIQII, but in my experiences, I only leave the top vent open about a 1/4 of the way. I have been told that this allows the blower assembly to do its job, as Ed Jones has stated though you may have an air leak elsewhere. I would start at your access door and go from there, but at least try to shut the top vent down to just barely open, and see what happens.

Its a new WSM and the lower vents are tight. taped the two onthe one that i mounted the adapter on.

I called the VERY helpful folks at digiQ (BBQ GURU) and they suggested the 1/4 top vent as well.

From my years around here i've always been hesitant about dampering down on the top vent but they say that with the forced air thing it works great.

I figure it looks like i have smoke billowing out from my lid and i will work on tightening up the door.

Maybe i should ask this somewhere else but is there a way to tighten up the seal on the lid? I was thinking a nice silicone gasget would do the trick. Has anyone dreamt up or tried anything?

I am noticing a much longer burn ona laod of charcoal too I can keep tempratures for 18-20 hours easily off the first load of Charcoal.

Thanks

Tom, in my experience, after a few cooks it will tighten itself up with some gunk
icon_smile.gif

I made sure my door was tight and let the rest happen on its own.

Hey Tom - the lid will seal itself, that's been my experience. I don't get much if any smoke from around the lid joint these days. And I haven't been using the WSM all that long.

AFA Digi II use. I have not adopted the 1/4 close on the top vent. I leave it full open. All bottom vents closed. Vent on the fan full open.

I don't get any spikes that I can blame on the Digi II.

Has anybody taken pictures of the DigiQ setup on their WSM? I am just not getting how the fan is setup? Researching right now to see what kind of control system I want.

Back