Beef Brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Looking to put my WSM to good use on a beef brisket and so I went shopping around. I have noticed my local Costco sells brisket, but it looks like it has already been cleaned up and a lot of the excess fat has been removed.

Will this smoke ok or should I really go looking for a butcher shop in the area?

Buckeye Dave

You need to have 1/4" fat cap to get brisket
to turn right. Try the local butcher or the restaurant supply outfits, like Cash&Carry.
You really need to get to know the wholesale
butchers in your area, they are always looking for additional business and can make it easier to get cuts that you can't find most of the time.
Jim

Hey Buckeye Dave, where'bouts in Cinci are you located?? I'm in Tri-county, I've been trying to get some friends into this smokin' thing, maybe we can get a little cook off going amongst us?? Also about that brisket, and I'm not going to go against Jim M., but if you use an oil based mop through the cooking process you should be able to come up with something edible. The last brisket I did had a very small (read almost non-existant) fat cap and I used a mop of beer, oil, some rub and various spices that I mopped on every hour or so and it came out pretty good.

Good afternoon Dave,

I've smoked both cuts of briskets and my family's response convinced me to thereafter look diligently for a properly trimmed piece of meat! Yes, you can improvise with constant basting, etc. but I've found it to be really hard to simulate the job that the layer of fat performs. I shop for my better slabs of brisket at Sam's Wholesale where I've been pleased (so far) with the cuts, prices and the smoking results.

?.John

I have always been advised to look for brisket that has a layer of hard white fat on the top which is an indication that the steer was grain fed. I have read that if the fat has got an off-white color, it probably ate grass or other stuff, and was finished off with grain. If possible buy the whole brisket (point and flat cut) and trim the fat yourself. Some advise to trim the top layer of fat down to between a quarter and an eighth inch thick then smoke that bad boy.

Let's eat!

JB
Corn feed beef's fat will be off white (yellow) and there is nothing wrong in that case. But in general you are right.
jim

Thanks for all the help. Costco appears to trim their briskets down to NO fat so that is definately not the way to go. I drove past a small butcher shop yesterday and I guess I will have to drop in and see them. Thanks also for the Sams mention, I can go check them out as well.

Ron - I am located over in Colerain. Let me get up to speed on my smoking and you are on for that cook-off.

Buckeye Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back