Throwdown #6...Fish

Morgan C.

TVWBB Diamond Member
In hopes of getting a bit more interest we will expand the horizon with a bit of seafood! Shell fish, tuna, Salmon or cod....what ever...Make it original and please post your prep pictures..

We will run this throwdown from June 15th thru July 9th to give us all some time to come up with great seafood material!

Congrats on your ABT victory Morgan! I'm also a past throwdown winner by default, but it was still fun to do.

Just to clarify the rules: post 4 prep and 1 plated picture with as much text as you like. The dish must be cooked during the timeframe listed above.

I'll start this one off:

Wasabi TBLT:
Wanted to use Green Tomatoes for the T but found some nice red's on the vine that weren't too ripe.
Dredged in flour, egg wash and panko.
The B was low sodium/fat bacon (I know, I know) but I gotta keep it on the healthy side (I can't do Turkey Bacon).
Some iceberg/romaine mix for the L and an 8 oz. Wild Caught Ahi Tuna steak for the first T. All on a ciabatta baguette from the local Wegmans topped with mayonnaise with a very healthy amount of wasabi powder added.

All ingredients on the Performer ready to go while the Wicked Good Lump gets ready in the chimney. The beer (my favorite all time IPA) did not make it to the end of the cook:

7f4bcfbc.jpg

Bacon was done here but the Tomato's are frying in the CI and the Tuna over direct heat (90 seconds per side for a very nice rare):

75a2d615.jpg

Sandwich almost complete. Tuna sliced on the bottom of the baguette with bacon, tomato and lettuce on the top. Had to throw that medium to medium well piece on there cause my buddy swiped the last rare piece of the cutting board.

d1c2c3cb.jpg

Sandwich cut, plated and ready for consumption:

653c1810.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Originally posted by JimK:
The bar has been set. And it is high.

Nice cook.

Originally posted by Wolgast:
That looks SUPER tasty Scott! Well Done!

Thanks guys.
As soon as this challenge was posted I immediately thought of this sandwich.
The ahi was awesome, pricey, but awesome. It's kinda cost prohibitive to make this more than once in awhile.

It's been a while since I had a go at something here in kettle stadium, and since I've been tasked in another forum I figured I'd kill two birds (er...fish) with one stone.

Without further ado, I present: kettle okonomiyaki.

starring an octopus

IMG_9745.JPG

I started by briskly grilling some sous vide octopus parts (170* for 5 hours packed with kombu and katsubuoshi), shrimp, and miso bacon. After grilling, this all gets chopped a bit.

IMG_0124.JPG

My fire died down nicely, and was perfect for heating up a paella pan. Into the hot pan went a little oil, some shredded cabbage, and the diced seafood and bacon. Once the cabbage had wilted, I added batter (egg, flour, and dashi stock), and some green onion.

IMG_0125.JPG

Once the batter was set, a couple of spatulas were employed to flip the pancake over, veeeery carefully.

IMG_0126.JPG

Off the grill, the pancake was topped with more green onion, katsubuoshi, kewpie mayo and homemade tonkatsu sauce.

IMG_0132.JPG

I'll save the details for the okonomiyaki thread but, I got to say, the results were pure magic.

Whoa. Game on! I thought I'd check out the fish entries here. Only two so far, but wow! Scott and Jeff -- looking very good my friends.

KFS – Kettle Fried Shrimp ??Po’boy
icon_biggrin.gif

Inspired by the kettle-fried chicken that’s been going on here, I chose to do kettle fried shrimp. Shelled shrimp seasoned with Creole seasonings, batter made up of more seasoning, one egg, a couple tablespoons of canola oil, a dash of flour and handful of cornmeal. Amazingly, nothing stuck to the oiled grates.
Club rolls were toasted, smeared with generous amount of my lump crab mayo, lettuce mix, sliced tomato, avocado, and a little srichacha. As good as it gets.
Grilled peach salsa with mint, jalapeno and cilantro finished the dinner.

IMG_3049-2.jpg

IMG_3048.jpg

IMG_3052-1.jpg

IMG_3054.jpg

Grilled or kettle-fried, I recommend the po'boy. Assembly is the hardest part. Cheers!

Great stuff so far.

Gary: I was going to do a KF fish taco - guess I'll hafta rethink my entry. Great minds...

JimK, I don't see KFFT (kettle fried fish taco) copyrighted anywhere. I say go for it! Ideas are a dime a dozen. Do yours your way and make it good, because I want to see it. Best wishes - G

Back