New Weber q 300

Trevor

Hi All, Last week I had a new Weber q 300 bought for me. I recently had another generic hooded bbq, but took ages to heat up, had cold areas on the hotplate and was just plain hard to use, so I never done an awful lot of grilling.

I seasoned the grill (Weber)and the following day had my first cook up of Honey Mustard Chicken Breasts. I was blown away as to how fast this thing got hot and how nice and sensative it was to adjust the temp, totally great.

I have always cooked on a hotplate, so this was my first time at a grill and I was not dissapointed...beautiful char grill marks on the meat, then placed onto the roasting trivet for about 20 minutes and it was succulent.

So I am very impressed by this new bbq, I can see a nice long summer of outdoor cooking ahead.

I am still trying to learn (via the booklet and forums) on cooking times ect. I generally like well done, but reading up on everything most seem like they are on the grill for no time at all... Anyhow I am itching to try a roast and get good results.

Also, only new here and from Perth Western Australia..
icon_smile.gif

Congratulations on the New Weber Q! I've got a collection of Weber charcoal grills, a WSM and a Weber Genesis gas grill. I don't yet have one of the Weber Q's but I search EBay every day hoping to find a decent deal on one of them.

Did you get one of the carts for the Weber Q? Several places, including Amazon have had really great deals on them over the past few weeks.

Welcome to TVWBB. Most of the folks here are dye-hard smokers and charcoal grillers. The Q forum is pretty new, but it seems to be picking up speed.

Best of luck to you - and be sure to weigh in often about what you cook - and include pictures - the folks here LOVE pictures!

Pat

G'Day Trev
Welcome to the TVWBB forum mate. Whilst the largest focus is on the WSM, all methods of barbecuing and grilling are discussed here.
The Q300 is a great BBQ and is so versatile you can cook virtually any dish on it.
I noted that you like well done.
For a standard 16 - 19 mm steak, preheat for 10 minutes with both burners on high then brush with a good stiff brass brush (the Weber triangular brush is ideal). Turn down both burners to abut 3 - 4 strokes above low and let the temp stabilize (about 3-4 minutes. The temp should stabilize about 450 - 475F. Brush both sides of the steak with a bit of oil (not olive oil) and season the top side with a pinch of salt (it enhances the flavour). Place on the grill and grill for 3 - 3 1/2 minutes per side. Remove and rest. Note the steak will be very juicy so when you cut it it will be reddish in the centre after a few minutes as the juices start to leach out.

For Roasting I recommend that you purchase a Roasting Trivet (Weber) while you are purchasing the trivet (& brush?) have a look at the Weber Q cookbook it shows you how to set up for roasting which is basically the method that I use.
You should set the Q on a temp of 400-450 for roasting. Place a doubled over sheet of foil on the grill and the roasting trivet on top put a couple of holes in the foil to let the fat drip out and you are ready to go. I use the Weber Veggie tray and cook char grilled veggies to go with the roast. They take 15 minutes. A boned leg of lamb will take between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 hours. A #14 chicken takes about 1 1/4 hours, a #18 takes about 1 1/2 hours. To do the char grilled veggies and the roast at the same time put the trivet on one side from front to back which leaves room for the veggie tray. To do roast veggies, ensure that they are dry, spray/Brush liberally with oil and lightly salt. Place on the trivet about 20 minutes after you put the meat on, they should both be finished together.

There is an Aussie BBQ forum that you may want to join. I also post in there under Captain Cook. Aussie BBQ Forum Enjoy.

Regards

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I did get a stand with the 300, was a package deal for $799 AUD. I also got a roasting trivet with it.

The thing I need to get my head around is that the temps that I would use a conventional oven to do a roast would be about 180 degrees and so just gotta work out the best cooking temp on the weber. I know that it gets dam hot fast and couldnt imagine anything requiring both burners on hight.

Thanks for the tips and for the link to the Aussie forum....thats my next stop
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Trevor:
The thing I need to get my head around is that the temps that I would use a conventional oven to do a roast would be about 180 degrees and so just gotta work out the best cooking temp on the weber. I know that it gets dam hot fast and couldnt imagine anything requiring both burners on hight.

Thanks for the tips and for the link to the Aussie forum....thats my next stop
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trev
I use both burners on just above low because I normally will cook more than one dish at a time
The reason for the higher temps is 2 fold. The temp probe is higher up and there is a fair bit of air escaping you need to set the temp about 20 to 30 or so degrees higher than that what you would use in an oven. It will also depend on the outside air temp. Experience has shown me that this is the best for my way of cooking. It works with the trivet and foil method because you are reflecting direct heat away from the meat to set up a convection process. You can also cook low and slow on the Q300 by just using the centre burner and the foil and trivet method. You can also place the trivet on top of a foil tray or baking dish 3/4 full of water with the middle burner on low. The water acts as a heat sink and gives you stable temperature and as a bonus keeps the meat moist, You can easily do a 6 - 16 hour cook on it though you are restricted a bit on size.

I recommend that you keep notes/cooking log which you can refer back to when developing other dishes or trying to get the same results as last time.

Regards

Back