Chuck roast

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Thinking of doing a chuck roast this weekend and was wondering about the rub for it. I've used Stogies rub for pork roast and BRITU rub for ribs and have plenty of each left over and was wondering if either of these would be good on beef. Also I've cooked 3 times on my WSM using 4 - 5 fist size pieces of wild cherry and I don't get a lot of smoke flavor is this because cherry is such a mild wood. Thanks for taking the time and having the patience to answer all of us new smokers questions, you all are a great help.

Hi again Rodney:

I believe I read a post from Chris regarding smoke-flavor, and how much is enough. Seems to me his advice was to start with a little and work your way up, just as if it was a spice. I've done this, and even though every 'cook' is different in so many ways (meat, amount, temperature, wind) I've always tried to err on the side of too little smoke rather than too much. Even though I've never over-smoked anything to my taste, I know that my 11-year old daughter has a much lower threshold (in other words, better taste)- and believe me she'll let me know it.

As far as whether Cherry wood is too mild, or which of those rubs would be best - I don't know. Hopefully someone with some experience with that can tell you. I doubt you can go wrong with a Chuck Roast though. Heck, I've even used a packet of Good Seasons Salad Dressing mix on Chuck Roast as a rub. It worked great!

Good grillin',

Weber Dave

Good morning Rodney?
I smoke chuck roasts quite regularly and have found that Paul Kirk's basic rub (with your own signature spices, of course) is easy to concoct and delivers as much flavor as any other rub I've tried. You can find the rub ingredient listing in his fairly inexpensive book entitled "Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ" available at places like Amazon.com. As to cherry wood, my experience is that it delivers such a sweet and mild smoke flavor I use it on smaller pieces of pork, sausages and poultry almost exclusively. To get that good really smoked taste into beef, I almost always use some amount of mesquite wood mitigated by a milder wood such as oak, alder and/or one of the fruit woods.
?John

I cooked the chuck roast this weekend and it turned out very good. I used the BRITU rub and then made a mop using some of the BRITU in the mop. I didn't use much of the rub on the meat due to reading that some people think it's to salty ( next time I'll use more ). I used KC Masterpiece and honey from the recipe for my finishing sauce. I used Kingsford charcoal for the first time and the temp was very steady and I didn't detect any off taste from the charcoal ( used the Minion method ) and used 4 big chunks of oak for the smoke. After a 7 hr cook at 220-5 had some charcoal left and plenty of wood left. Can I reuse the oak chunks or should I start with fresh next time, I have plenty thanks to a big wind storm a year or two ago. I will be making more of this since it turned out so good.

Rodney..
Sounds like you "done real good"!! Some time ago, I asked a similar question concerning reusing charcoal, wood, etc. The overwhelming majority of folks both advised me to "do it" and stated that it was a common, frugal practice of theirs; I have since and have suffered no adverse effects! Like you, I too have a large stockpile of wood opting to remove the tree rather than allow it to continue removing my home from its foundation. I'm envious, however, because mine is sweetgum (sort of OK for smoking) and not good oak wood like yours!

?.John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back