Homemade sausage recipe?

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
I want to make some sausage to stuff and bake or grill my cherry peppers. Any recipes out there? I checked the internet and my head is spinning with all the results. It seems alot called for sage or fennel. I have no problem with that. I just want to know if those are common ingredients. I'm not looking for a breakfast sausage. Maybe something with a little heat.

Dave,

What meat will you be using? 100% pork, pork/beef, poultry? Do you have a preference as to a fresh sausage or a smoked sausage? Fennel is very common with Italian recipes. Marjoram, caraway are both common for a bratwurst. Heat can be introduced with dry chile peppers, fresh peppers, powdered chiles, etc. I just finished a beef/pork sausage that had both fresh jalapenos and ground chipotle powder in it.

Paul

Paul, I'm using part of a pork butt...about 2-2 1/2 lbs. I just want to make a small amount for starters. Looking for fresh, not smoked. I guess Italian but I'm not sure. Something that will go with the peppers. My wife doesn't like a lot of heat but a little is OK.

For an Italian sausage, here's what I think would work (butt is just about perfect ratio of fat to meat):

I always work in metric with sausage recipes as it is much easier. Let me know if you need conversions. All weights are based on per 1000 grams of meat.

Salt - 18g
Cracked Fennel - 3g
Corriander - 1g
Caraway - 1 g
Cold water - 100ml

Heat? Cayenne or dried red pepper flakes - 2g

Coarse grind meat (10mm plate)
Mix in all ingredients very well
Test recipe by frying up a TBL and adjust if necessary. It is here that you can tweak the heat also.
Stuff into casings.

Remember if you've actually have 2 -2.5 lbs of meat (908g -1135g) you'll need to adjust all ingredient quantities. I usually debone, cube or strip (cut strips feed into grinders quite well), then weigh my total meat volume and then adjust final recipe based on that weight.

Paul

Yes Paul, a conversion would be great if it's not a problem. Your recipe looks like what I'm looking for. Also, these are not going to be stuffed in casings. If any is left after stuffing the peppers I am going to freeze it in a fooodsaver bag.

Dave,

Sorry about the delayed response. Here are some estimated conversions.

Salt - 2.5t* - 3.5t* (depending on weight of meat)
Cracked Fennel - 1.75t
Corriander - .75t
Caraway - .75t
Cold water - 6.75 TBL
Heat? Cayenne or dried red pepper flakes - 1.25t

t=teaspoon, TBL=tablespoon.
* remember salt measures differently based on type used: table salt vs crystal vs flake. I usually weigh it for that reason. All measurements are approximate and don't need to be exact.

Paul

Hey Paul no problem. I got the conversions online. Using your recipe the sausage came out really good. Now I just have to pick my peppers and stuff them and use the rest to make patties. Thanks for your help.

Back