Bubba Keg Convection Grill

Brad Benski

TVWBB Super Fan
While checking out the grills at my Home Depot last night I ran across this. It appears to look alot like a Big Green Egg but instead of all Ceramic body it has a metal veneer.

Anybody have any experience with it? It was priced in the mid-high $800s if memory serves me right.

Brad.

I just saw one at HD it was selling for $799.00!! pretty pricey I thought??

I'll take my WSM & Weber OTG any day!

Larry B

I got a good look at one of these the other day.

Double wall steel with insulation between, shouldn't break if it gets knocked over.

Heard of an initial burn test that showed it gets hotter faster and holds heat longer than the egg.

Comes with a bunch of things eggs should really come with instead of having to pay eggstra for them. The top damper is bolted down (won't fall off like on the egg). Side shelves, a stand, the ash tool, nice cast iron grate (instead of PCI), an upper grate.

It even includes a trailer hitch adapter for transportation/tailgating and two mounted bottle openers.

No plate setter equivalent at the moment but I'd just rig something up for indirect and baking.

I guess we'll have to see how well they hold up but taken as is I'd likely buy one over an egg or a primo if I was in the market.

Home Depot over here sell's them for 599.00..Next time am there all have to check them out.

I have a BUBBA KEG GRILL. It is fabulous. I have been able to keep the temp steady for over 12 hours without touching the vents, and had lots of lump left. I use the minion method. It is extremely well insulated and extremely efficient. I can't say enough about it. No negatives as yet. It cost $599. at home depot, but if you open a credit card they take 10% off. I turned around, without leaving the customer service desk, and paid off my new card. Never to be used again. Just a way to get a discount.

So Pat - the one review I read mentions that you can't cook indirect. This affect you? What were you cooking for your 12 hour cook and what temp were you holding.

It looks promising. Not moving from my WSM/Performer, but would consider it if I was in the market. Looks like relatively small cooking area?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
So Pat - the one review I read mentions that you can't cook indirect. This affect you? What were you cooking for your 12 hour cook and what temp were you holding.

It looks promising. Not moving from my WSM/Performer, but would consider it if I was in the market. Looks like relatively small cooking area? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You can cook indirect in them. They don't have a branded plate setter per se yet but guys are using Big green egg plate setters or even just pans with with water below the meat.

Surface area is the same as a large BGE.

I use a waterpan under the meat, same principal as the WSM. I also have 2 of those. I can hold at 225 for at least 12 hours without adding fuel. I have heard that the temp can be held at 225 to 250 for 24 hours without adding fuel. I believe it because of the fuel efficency of the BKG. I use it at least 3 times a week and used only 20# of lump since the beginning of May. Of course, thet are not all long cooks either.

Hmm same areas as BGE and just improvise, use WSM or other water pans or clays and sounds like your fine.

Home Depot is tentatively planning to add a Kamado grill to the stores next season. The Bubba Keg has been a sales disaster, to put it mildly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Smith:
Home Depot is tentatively planning to add a Kamado grill to the stores next season. The Bubba Keg has been a sales disaster, to put it mildly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey Chris, if you would elaborate on 'sales disaster' that would be great, either here or shoot me an email (to the one in my profile).

Didn't sell? Damaged in box? Too many returns???

We originally brought it in at $799 retail with relative assurance that it would be priced to market. When it first hit our stores in April, Sam's Club brought out the same unit at $599. Needless to say some words were exchanged with their sales director and we took it down to $599 with some assistance. Even at $599 though it is not selling worth a damn. It averages 20-30 units a week, nationwide...in our business, that doesn't even qualify as a flop.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We originally brought it in at $799 retail with relative assurance that it would be priced to market. When it first hit our stores in April, Sam's Club brought out the same unit at $599. Needless to say some words were exchanged with their sales director and we took it down to $599 with some assistance. Even at $599 though it is not selling worth a damn. It averages 20-30 units a week, nationwide...in our business, that doesn't even qualify as a flop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wondered about it. It seems like a serious piece of equipment, and quite an investment. I could see it having a chance if, 1) it was associated with a brand that actually makes outdoor cookers (and not a brand that is noted for giant coffee mugs), 2) it was closer to $300 rather than $600, and 3) it wasn't so cheesy (2 bottle openers, looks like a beer keg).

the trailer hitch mount makes so much sense to me, and being metal rather than ceramic makes it much more portable.

I just read a review that says it actually cooks better than an egg:

throwdown: keg vs egg

hopefully grill makers don't abandon the double walled steel, insulated hull design, just because this odd product wouldn't sell. I see it having some potential.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:

I wondered about it. It seems like a serious piece of equipment, and quite an investment. I could see it having a chance if, 1) it was associated with a brand that actually makes outdoor cookers (and not a brand that is noted for giant coffee mugs), 2) it was closer to $300 rather than $600, and 3) it wasn't so cheesy (2 bottle openers, looks like a beer keg).

the trailer hitch mount makes so much sense to me, and being metal rather than ceramic makes it much more portable.

I just read a review that says it actually cooks better than an egg:

throwdown: keg vs egg

hopefully grill makers don't abandon the double walled steel, insulated hull design, just because this odd product wouldn't sell. I see it having some potential. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you or someone you know is interested in buying one, we're probably going to end up putting them on clearance sometime in the fall. They're really well built units, but the brand doesn't command the price...they have no history in this arena and competing with a premium item like BGE with incredibly loyal fans isn't easy.

It'll be interesting to see if the Kamado does better next year at the same price point. Recession be damned, we're actually having a killer year on grills. More people are grilling at home instead of going to restaurants, I suppose.

I need to do a tally on our Weber sales YTD when I get in the office this week.

Thanks for the reply Chris.

About the 'cheese' ... I'm sure they could have picked a better name, that's my only complaint with it so far. I looked up Bubba on wikipedia and it said in southern US it is an affectionate nickname for typically the eldest brother. But it listed a slew of other meanings that weren't exactly positive
icon_eek.gif
(can't detail here in the 'G' rated forum)
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">About the 'cheese' ... I'm sure they could have picked a better name, that's my only complaint with it so far. I looked up Bubba on wikipedia and it said in southern US it is an affectionate nickname for typically the eldest brother. But it listed a slew of other meanings that weren't exactly positive Eeker (can't detail here in the 'G' rated forum) Big Grin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe the company started out making giant, insulated coffee mugs that resemble kegs. why they thought that they could cross over to $900, insulated, grills that resemble kegs is beyond me.

Maybe they should have made the "bubba car" that looks like a keg and had four bottle openers (one for each passenger including the driver). I'm sure that might actually have been a bigger flop.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> If you or someone you know is interested in buying one, we're probably going to end up putting them on clearance sometime in the fall. They're really well built units, but the brand doesn't command the price...they have no history in this arena and competing with a premium item like BGE with incredibly loyal fans isn't easy.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks, but no thanks. I might play with one if someone gave me one for free. I couldn't justify the purchase when I already have 2 wsm's and a kettle.

From the reviews I saw, most say its pretty tricky to control the temps.

Back