Spiral Sliced Ham and Turkey at the same time .....

Jeff G

Debating about heating up our ready to eat spiral sliced ham during the same cook as a turkey using the apple brine method (WSM - 18 1/2). Is this possible without the ham coming out too dry due to the higher heat requirements of the turkey? Any other suggestions or recomendations?

I wouldn't. I'd either do the ham inside, on a kettle, or in the WSM after the turkey cooks and is resting (and the cooker temp is brought down).

Jeff,I'm heating the spiral ham up on the WSM,and the turkey breast on the rotiserrie I fabricated onto my Genesis.

I'm doing the same thing today on the WSM. I did the ham first and the turkey is on right now. If I do this again I'll follow Kevin's advise and do the turkey first.

My ham recipe calls for 210 temp with basting every hour. I used the Minion method and started with pretty much a full charcoal ring. I was expecting colder temp (started at 32 but is low 50s now) and rain and didn't get either. I couldn't keep the temp at 210 with all the basting. My pit was around 240 most of the time.

Now, it's difficult to keep the turkey at my target of 325-350. Would have made more sense to have done it the other way. I do have a digi and it helps with the higher temps. Just has to work harder than normal.

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping for a magic bullet but not expecting it. Ham will be done in the oven
icon_frown.gif

Back