First Cook on the WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Bosch

TVWBB Fan
Well, the first cook on my new WSM in done and in the history books. Took a big chance trying this for the first time for a pretty good gathering - especially since they were all in-laws! Twenty-two people in all. It was cold too! High's were expected to be about 20 or thereabouts. I put the smoker into the garage to keep the effects of a good North wind minimal.

Chose to smoke four racks of ribs and a whole bone-in turkey breast. Mixed up a batch of BRITU rub and applied to both - simply because there was so much and I liked the smell. Fired up a full chimney of Kingsford at noon, and when they were all ashed over, dumped into the fire pan and topped off with another chimney's worth of unlit charcoal. Added HOT water to the water pan, put some oak chunks on the fire, and put the turkey and ribs in the smoker. With all bottom vents closed, the WSM stayed between 240 and 265 for the next three hours. At the three hour mark, I opened up the smoker, sprayed the turkey with some apple juice and turned the ribs over and end for end, then replaced the cover. Here is where things got a little loopy... Thirty minutes after replacing the cover, the temp seemed stalled around 220 degrees. (I would have thought opening the WSM would cause the temp to spike...?) I opened all the bottom vents to 1/3, which did little, and thirty minutes later I just opened them all full. This brought the temp up 270, and ran there for the balance of the cook. At 6:30, roughly 5-1/2 hours after the meat first went on, I pulled the ribs from the smoker, but deceided to keep the turkey on for another hour - just to be sure. The ribs were served with stuff others had brought and the turkey was saved to be carved up for sandwich meat on Sunday.

All in all, the cook can be summed up as follows... One of my brothers-in-law told me the ribs were the best he's ever had - bar none. Others commented that they were great, and asked if I would make them for the family reunion slated for June. Sunday, when the turkey was sliced up, a different bro-in-law told me that the turkey and ribs were simply the best food he's ever had off a grill. Needless to say, I'm proud.

My thoughts... I never did get any ribs. They looked terrific coming off the smoker, and smelled great after the sauce was applied. My wife said they were a little pink, which I attribute to the smoke, not being under done. The turkey was very moist, very smokey, and the BRITU rub added a little zing as an exclamation point. When I next do turkey breast, however, I'm going to use the boneless type. Just to cut down on the cooking time.

Good que'n, everyone.

Alan Bosch

Hey Alan,

Sounds like you had a great first experience! Congratulations and keep us informed of your progress.

Regarding the pinkness in the ribs, it is sometimes necessary to inform guests that this pinkness is ordinary in barbecued foods. This is especially true with chicken, where there can be some pinkness near the bone even when the meat is cooked to a safe internal temperature.

Regards,
Chris

Hey Alan..great show!!

Here is what I did with the spousal unit in regards to pink meat......took a meat thermometer and a chart of the cooking temps.....USDA of course!...and found a spot in the ribs to get a temp.

Now, SHE explains to any guests who ask!

Stogie

Alan,
AWESOME! Dang - for a guy that just got his smoker..you are Da Man!!!!
Keep it up dude...you rock!
SmokinSteve
Ma's Smokin Chips

Dang yer mak'in me hungry too. Hope my first batch turns out as good as yours. I ordered My WSM two days ago from Amazon thru this website and they shipped it yesterday along with a Weber Chimney starter.Can't wait.

Sounds like you had a blast!! One word of caution however - make sure your garage is ventilated as burning briquettes throw a lot of CO2. I doubt oxygen deprivation had anything to do with your temp control, but death by BBQ is not the proper way to enjoy your SMC!

k

Chris & Stogie - My wife was the only one that complained - if you can even call it that - about the pinkness of the rib meat. She's educated now <g>. What was a little more unsettling was the turkey. There were portions of the breast meat that seemed a little rare. The pink color I expected, but I was not counting on rare portions. I took the skin off the breast prior to rubbing, so that helped once in the smoker. But next time, like I said, I'm going to use a boneless breast instead.

Steve - Gotta tell ya, man. My WSM arrived without a scratch! Maybe it was luck, but the only adjusting I had to do was to tweak the fuel door. Everything else was perfect. Thanks for the great service!!

Joe C. - You're gonna love it! It's worth every penny and all the effort you put into it. I can't wait to do another batch of ribs!

Kevin K. - I did have a blast! And point taken about the Carbon Monoxide (CO). I took precautions - left the garage door open fully and had another door proped open for a good deal of cross-ventilation. Too, the garage is seperate from the house. Not to mention a fire extinguisher handy...

All - My first cook was fun and hassel free. Beginners luck, dumb luck, or a case of God-smiling-down-on-fools-and-children, I couldn't tell ya which, but I can't wait to work it again.

Don't let your temps spike!

Alan Bosch

Alan
With poultry you are going to want check the internal temp. White meat is done at 160?
dark at 185?. An instant read or polder type thermometer is the best way to go.
It's great to hear that went well.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back