Salted Anchovies - Storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I bought some salted anchovies. They are quite large.

I was thinking of storing them in the refrigerator in a FoodSavered 8-oz jar. Should I add some kosher salt to the jar? What would be their refrigerator life? I keep my fridge just above 32°F.

Or can I freeze them if I don't nibble them to extinction?

Rita

Leave any brine and salt in the container. You can add salt if you remove salt when you remove the anchovies. They should keep indefinitely. Do not freeze.

Wow! That was fast!

Thanks, Kevin. I added a little extra Diamond KS to the jar when I FoodSavered it, so will store it in the fridge (vacuumed) as is.

icon_biggrin.gif
!!!
Rita

Anchovies!! Yum!

Where did you find the large salt packed variety? Here I can only find the tiny ones oil packed in tins.

I'd be interested to know how you use them, and if they taste different than the tinned.

thanks!

Thom, I found them at Whole Foods. I haven't used mine yet but they are certainly worth nibbling on. They taste the same, but better and a little different than the oil-packed anchovies probably because they don't have the cheap olive oil on them.

Frankly, I'd be interested too in hearing if they are equal substitutions (by weight or volume) for the tinned anchovies and the best way to use them. If I can remember, I want to add some minced to a salad vinaigrette or Caesar-type salad.

We'd welcome comments from those who have used salted anchovies.

You can use them pretty much interchangeably with oil-packed anchovies--by volume or weight. You can rinse gently then soak in cold water for 15-20 min to both rehydrate them a bit and to remove excess salt. (Whether or not you choose to do this depends largely on what you're going to do with them and whether it seems important in that regard. It's not required though.) You can also, if you wish, rinse, soak if desired (or not), and re-pack in an oil of high quality, fridging till used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back