Chipotle glazed Ribs

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
I came across this recipe while looking for a different taste treat.

I'd rate it an 11 out of 10. Simply fantastic (but then, I like a sweetish flavouring on mine).

MY ADAPTATION OF THE QUOTED RECIPE:

I didn't want to set up the WSM for such a small amount (only 2 of us) so I just did them in the oven as described (sacrilege I know). Fall off the bone and oh so good.

I just got a biggish roasting pan, put the cut ribs (unseasoned, un-sauced) on a rack and put 1/2" of water in with them.

Into the oven at 300o for 2 hr.

Put the glaze on (let the freshly blended glaze sit in the fridge for about an hour before putting it on the ribs so it can set up a bit) then broil for 3 min a side.

I found this recipe just barely covered 3 lb of BB (two smallish racks). Make more if you plan on marinating.

No need for a dipping sauce. I served with plain white rice.

Ingredients

3 lb (1.4 kg) pork back ribs
3 TBSP lemon peel (I USED 2 TSP OF LEMON JUICE INSTEAD OF THE PEEL)
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) red currant jelly (I used black currant jelly as I could not find red)
2 canned chipotle peppers, seeded and minced (I used two out of the can)
1 tbsp (15 mL) adobo sauce (also out of the can)

Chipotle Glaze: In blender, put all ingredients (not the ribs but then, you knew that didn't you
icon_wink.gif
) and pulse till coarse but nicely blended. Let sit in the fridge for about an hour or so to "set up".

Preparation

Pour enough water into shallow roasting pan to come about 1/2 inch up side. Cut ribs into 2-rib portions; place, meaty side up, in single layer on a rack and NOT sitting directly in the water.

Cover and steam-roast in 325°F (160°C) oven until meat is tender, 75 to 90 minutes. Transfer to a rack, discarding cooking liquid.

Brush 1/2 the chipotle glaze on the ribs and broil for 3 min/side.

Brush the rest of the glaze over the other side of the ribs and broil for about 3 min.

Nice glaze Len. Try a little soy sauce (and less salt) in that glaze for a deeper taste. Just a thought.

Back