I'm Amazed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I started up 20 briquets in the chimney at 12:00, and added about half full to the charcoal chamber. At 12:30 added the hot coals on top of the unlit ones (Minion method).By 1:00 I put on 3 slabs of baby backs cut in half and placed in a bib rack. the other 2 halves I stood up against the rack.Temp was pretty much stable at 231. I have 2 bottom vents closed and the third opened a little less than half. Top vent is open fully. So far this has been way easier the the weber kettle as far as reaching/maintaining temp goes. Gotta get back out and look at the temp. Them baby backs need me.

------------------

Sounds great...please send samples!

I'm at the halfway point on two whole chickens, using the "Chicken on the Throne" recipe from Smoke & Spice. They're looking good!

Regards,
Chris

UNBELIEVABLE! I would have never believed that temp control would be that much simpler than on my weber kettle.
Maintained 225/230 for the first 3 hrs. than kicked it up to 275 for another 1 1/2 hrs. My folks stopped over and the temp did spike to 293 while I was talking but other than that there wasn't any problems. I rubbed the ribs with some left over Bears brisket rub, and did not mop. I used 4 chunks of apple wood about 4x2x1. I turned the ribs over and end for end at the two hour mark. Meant to do it at 3 hrs. but I guess I got ahead of myself. Them baby backs turned out very good. Just required a slight tug and the meat pulled off the bone. Over all I am very impressed with the WSM. I wish I would have gotten one two yrs. ago when I first started Q'in.
Hey Chris them chickens on a throne are the best tasting birds I've tried, I've been wanting to do them again using a hard apple cider or even a straight apple juice in the can.Hmmm, gives me an idea for next weekend.
Good cookin

Dan,

You gotta love this!! I am interested to know if you still think you need an "afterburner"? Seems you were initially concerned about long burn times and too much work.

Stogie

stogie,by the time you posted your response to save my money I had already ordered one. I got it yesterday and have not tried it out yet.however you asked if I still think you need one the answer would have to be I don't think so.At least not for a WSM. Maybe the Brinkmans,I don't know. I will try mine out,and compare it with the charcoal/wood. As you can tell by my above posts I am well satisfied with the WSM.
Are you the same "Stogie" that posted on the VI cigar site?

------------------
Dan
'Smokin in the valley'

Dan,

Glad to have yet another happy WSM owner in our family!!

No, I have never posted to any cigar boards. Been smoking stogie since 1973 and pretty set in my ways!!

Good Luck to you!!

Stogie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back