Advice for first-time competitor?

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by craic c on 6/27/05 at 9:38AM PT

-----------
With competition entry fee's and other expenses being probably in the hundreds of dollars, what advice could you offer a soon to be first time competitor?

I plan on entering inn a local competition in St Cloud, Fla in November. I already have most of what is needed for equipment/utensils etc. (we are very serious tailgaters), but am curious as to how much meat is desirable for contest purposes.

2 briskets, 2 butts, 4-6 slabs of ribs.

For a contest newbie, is this overkill? Or not enough? Thanks, and I am going to order the book.

Welcome to the world of BBQ Cookoffs. It's a blast.

I always cook two butts, need the meat, two briskets, just can't take a chance on one, three slabs of St. Louis cut ribs, and about 15 pieces of chicken. I sometimes buy more ribs, but I pick my three comp slabs, and cook the others for Friday night dinner. I don't want the hassle of sorting through 6 slabs of ribs at turn in time.

Other advice? Take a judging class if you can. Go to a cookoff and watch what happens during turn in. It's pressure packed. Get some styro boxes and practice your presentations. Things don't always work and fit like you were planning.

Back