SJP Mod Complete

J D McGee

TVWBB Pro
Here it is folks...my latest mod to alleviate the air flow problems to my Smokey Joe Platinum. All parts were ordered for an 18 1/2 inch Silver One Touch Kettle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Pimp my SJP! well done JD! BTW, how's the Big Green Egg treating you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Larry...The BGE was sold last month...it just wasn't my thing. I played with it for a while but could never get a warm fuzzy.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

JD,
Very interesting. Question, hoe do you remove the ash from the pan? Do you shake it off or do you unbolt the pan from the bottom?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff S:
JD,
Very interesting. Question, hoe do you remove the ash from the pan? Do you shake it off or do you unbolt the pan from the bottom? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The same way I get it out of the kettle...turn it upside down and shake...
wsmsmile8gm.gif
The only reason it's there is to keep hot ash off the deck...plus it looks kinda cool.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lee James:
I just ordered the parts to do this mod. Thanks for the great demo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have fun Lee. If you have any questions feel free to drop me an e-mail.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J D McGee:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lee James:
I just ordered the parts to do this mod. Thanks for the great demo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. Most of the stuff came in today. Now I just need to borrow a drill.

Freaking great idea JD! Weber should be paying you for the idea and implementing. This is what this board is all about - not just the thoughts and ideas of the food, but also the equipment!

I bet Weber would sell the SJP 5:1 over the new Char Q with this mod...I still can't get over the price tag on the Char Q....

Great job!

JD,
I wanted to thank you for the mod info.
I "pimped" out my SJP and am completely ecstatic with the results.

I did have a question for you though; do you now close the side vents?

Thanks,

Craig Jones
Performer, WSM, SJP (a good start on a nice collection)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J D McGee:

wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I finally got around to trying to make the mods. I drilled the holes and installed the sweep, but that's as far as I have gotten.

How did you attach the legs and ash pan. It doesn't look like I have enough room for the sweep arm, the ash pan, and the legs.

How did you do it?

I just picked up a SJP at Ace yesterday. I would now like to make the same mods as you JD. When I call Weber, what exactly do I need to ask them for? And will I need to find a serial number for a OTS?

Thanks,
Todd

Nevermind, I think I found the right parts to order via their website:
===
Quantity Item Price Total
1 One-Touch™ Cleaning System
Part Number: 303618 $9.99 $9.99
1 Ash Catcher
Part Number: 303637 $7.99 $7.99
===
Todd

I think I'll do this mod, too instead of using a bottom vent and ash catcher from a SJ silver. Looks cool, JD!

Edit: Just picked up the 1-touch cleaning system at Ace, but they didn't have the ash catcher, and neither did Lowe's. (I did use my "Project Starter "coupon to buy a unibit)

Just ordered the catcher from Weber.....7 bucks to ship???
icon_eek.gif

Steve

Guys, what are you using to measure the hole in the center for the one touch system? I have measured several times and it's in a different location each time. I want the hold dead centered. Any suggestions?

Back