Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimT

TVWBB Pro
Catchy, don't you think? Someone should name a cologne or something after it.
icon_wink.gif

Actually, I've got a couple of questions about storing and using various spices, herbs, seansonings, etc. My spice rack is starting to over flow from recipes I have tried, and being the tightwad I am, I hate to throw away a $4 jar of something that I've only used a teaspoon of. Know what I mean?

Does storing in the refrigerator help prolong the life?

If the "spice", etc. is getting a little old, could you just use more of it to compensate for the loss of flavor?

Any guidelines would be appreciated.

Tim, I store all of my spare spice in the freezer so your fridge should be ok. I don't think it will last as long but at least when you go to use it it won't be frozen! As far as adding more, I don't think thats a good idea. Alot of spices don't just fade with age, some of them go off flaver or racid. I would not want to increase either one of those flavors! JC.

Freezing is better than fridging. The big deal is to restrict air and moisture so vacuum sealing (with freezing or without) is better still. Spices, generally, last longer than herbs but shelf life depends on the spice or herb in question, whether it is whole or ground, its container, light (or lack thereof) and ambient temp. Many spices last far longer than 'advertised'. Yes, you can use more to compensate for flavor loss most of the time but John is quite right: Sometimes it is not necessarily flavor loss with which one is concerned; sometimes it is rancidity or a not-so-positve change of flavor one needs to watch for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back