First turkey Rub question

So i'm going to try my first Turkey this Christmas. I am going to keep it simple and buy a self basting Turkey. My question is that i don't want to use BBQ rub on it and i read to use that Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. I don't believe i have ever tried a Creole seasoning. Is this too spicy? What do you guys recommend for a rub on the Turkey?

Mike,

If you want to keep it simple then just mix up a few herbs and or spices that compliment turkey. If you're not sure about Creole flavors, you can always buy a small container and taste it first. Traditional herbs for turkey include sage and thyme. Fresh herbs are usually preferred but using a dried rubbed sage and dried thyme make it easy to apply to the bird. A little salt and pepper and with those and you're good to go. You can also consider granulated onion and garlic to rub on with the pepper. I would recommend as many here do; and that is to salt the turkey first. Just pure salt and in the amount that you would salt a piece you would eat; nothing more. Then add your other herbs. This way, if you want to up the herb flavor you aren't throwing the salt way out of balance.

Paul

Mike,

If you want to keep it simple, just use salt and pepper rubbed onto the bird with some peanut oil. For added flavor, put some fresh herbs in the cavity (I like thyme and resemary).

Ray

Mike,
The creole seasoning is a bit spicy. I like it with chicken tenders on the grill, but I like a little spiciness. A bit too spicy for my wife and daughter though.

I haven't tried it on turkey. I'm pretty sure I'd like it but I don't cook turkey for just me. I have used Wood Chick's rub and Big Bob Gibson's rub and everyone liked it.

The salt and pepper recommendation from Bruce sounds good too. Note to go light on the salt since it's already got some in the injection.

Back