Best Grilling Tools?

Kit_R

TVWBB Member
I've been trying to find a new set of grilling tools, and thus far nothing I've seen has really done it for me. In addition, I've not been able to find any helpful discussion, reviews on the topic. I'm just getting tired of using the free set of tools I got from Rock Bottom Brewery (although it took 50 visits to earn them, they're a bit flimsy). Bottom line, I'm looking for something solid, well balanced and nice looking. Appreciate everyone's input.

If you have a restaurant supply store around, I've found that's the best place to get good quality no frills tools. I don't know what you mean by nice looking, these are not fancy but they sure get the job done. I picked up a couple pairs of 16" tongs, and a couple of long-handled turners all for under $15 total and they are much better quality than any tools you are likely to find in store labeled "Grill Tools"

I have both the wood handled Weber set and the Stainless handled set.

I LOVE the stainless spatula and tongs. The Weber tongs are especially nice because they are wide and flat and can be used as a spatula for many items.

The wood handles are a little loose at the rivits, but they haven't fell apart yet.

I've never used the grill fork.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
i've tried a few but the best tongs so far for me are the 15 in tongs from wal mart at $2.00 . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi George,

I have three of those! Best value tongs for sure!

###

i'm in a wheelchair and i hang one off the back to use to grab things. i had one for over three years. it went through a lot and was still working fine until i lost it 2 weeks ago
icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
I don't get them by the set, I get the tools by the piece I want and like.

Spatula, but you can find it cheaper, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have the Barbie Boss (that's what stamped on mine) as well from Pampered Chef. I had mine for 10 years now, and I'd buy another in a heartbeat. AWESOME Spatula.
icon_smile.gif

I'm a member of the Ken P. school of though:

Most of the sets that I've seen and tried had one or two of the tools that was significantly better than the other parts of the set.

I'm also still kind of partial to the old, but cheap and trusty tong-type-device:
-about 16-18 inches long
-scissors-type, vinyl-coated grips
-spatula on one side and "gripper" on the other side.

I also like a brass-bristle brush for cleaning my porcelain & chrome-coated grates.

Cheapo long regular tongs work for turning brats, chicken, & other stuff that's not prone to falling-apart when you flip it.

(I did see a Craftsman set of tongs that were nice, with screwdriver-type handles. Probably more of a novelty than actually functional.)

I also love the $2 tongs from wally world! As far as the rest of my grilling tools,I buy by the piece. When I need to replace something,I look around and buy what I need. HTH

come on guys don't knock the big forks, they work great on grates and ah....pushing your coal piles around
icon_biggrin.gif

the fork can take off a lot of the thick gunk so you don't gum up the grate brushes
icon_wink.gif

that's my story and I am sticking to it!

{and I love the Weber tools, nice weight, balance and the lock on the tongs WORKS}

I have the older set of These they are great. Well, I only use the tongs and spatchula. I found having the larger end on the tongs makes it much eaiser to use then small ones. Also the bottle opener in the spatchula always comes in handy.

I use a long stainless handled set from Weber. The tongs and spatula are about 24" oal. They are built to last a lifetime. I use a silicone brush for sauce while wearing welders gloves. Sometimes I use a pair of tongs that have a spatula on each side and a scissors style handle. If you buy the good stuff once, it is much nicer than buying the cheap stuff over and over.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you have a restaurant supply store around, I've found that's the best place to get good quality no frills tools. I don't know what you mean by nice looking, these are not fancy but they sure get the job done. I picked up a couple pairs of 16" tongs, and a couple of long-handled turners all for under $15 total and they are much better quality than any tools you are likely to find in store labeled "Grill Tools" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I swear by ad craft 16" XHT tongs. I ordered a bunch from comet supply, they are dirt cheap and great to use. they don't have a locking feature but after having the locking feature on my 30 dollar rosle tongs fail I actually prefer that they don't lock.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:

I swear by ad craft 16" XHT tongs. I ordered a bunch from comet supply, they are dirt cheap and great to use. they don't have a locking feature but after having the locking feature on my 30 dollar rosle tongs fail I actually prefer that they don't lock. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep those are the tongs I have, nice and sturdy, not fancy but they get the job done very well.

For heavy duty no frills tools I go to Sams club, they have reastaurant grade stuff real cheep. Look in the Kitchen Utensils catagory. tongs, flippers, knives, cutting boards, etc.. Thats were I get almost all of my stuff, you can get some good cuts of meat at a fair deal to.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
I don't get them by the set, I get the tools by the piece I want and like.

Spatula, but you can find it cheaper, and 16" tongs from Amazon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My wife bought me the spatula and tongs. Best BBQ tools I've ever owned.

I have gotten most of my BBQ tools at the Christmas Tree Store(s) for $1.99 each.
Had them all for years and still going strong. Simple solid woot handles.

Now that I am grilling more and smoking more, I need another set of stuff. My last visit to the Christmas Tree Store they did not have as many BBQ tools as they used to but they always have some grilling gadgets and rubs,etc.

They are in New England mostly but they have one in NJ now. My greatest purchases there were Steve Raichlen's "Barbecue Bible" and "How to Grill" for $5.99 each. Was in New Englan last week and unfortunately coult not have time to stop at the one near my relatives. (Better stuff than the NJ store)

My wife loves the store too for all its seasonal stuff too. They are more than just Christmas stuff.

Back