Chocolate Scallop Shells

JRPfeff

TVWBB Guru
The is part three of the White Chocolate Mousse in Chocolate Scallop Shells with Raspberry Sauce.

The recipes are from different sources so the quantities may not line up. I'd suggest at test run to see how many shells the mousse recipe will fill as well as how far the sauce will go.

Chocolate Scallop Shells

8 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into small pieces (chocolate chips work great for this)
6 natural scallop shells, about 4 inches in diameter and available in cooking stores

Cover the outside of the scallop shells with single layers of lightweight aluminum foil; smooth foil as much as possible to eliminate wrinkles. Trim foil to extend 1 inch around onto inside of shells. Line baking sheet with waxed paper. Place shells on baking sheet; refrigerate at least 1 hour.

Melt chocolate in top of double boiler. Using a pastry brush or small spatula, spread a thin even layer of chocolate on outside of one shell over aluminum foil. (Chocolate should just reach to edges of shell and not run onto underside.) Place coated shell on baking sheet, chocolate-side up. Repeat with remaining shells.

Refrigerate coated shells just until chocolate sets, about 5 minutes.* Spread another thin layer of melted chocolate over first layer of chocolate on each shell; refrigerate until chocolate sets, about five minutes. Repeat this procedure until chocolate coating is desired thickness, 1/16 to 1/8 inch; then refrigerate until chocolate is completely firm, about 2 hours. (Melted chocolate can be briefly stirred over a pan of warm water to maintain proper consistency.)

To unmold, loosen foil carefully from underside and around edges of natural shell; gently pry shell from foil. Dip hands in ice water; dry hands quickly. Peal foil carefully inward from edges of chocolate shell, gradually gathering foil in a ball and free it from chocolate. (If chocolate cracks, shell can be mended by brushing seam with melted chocolate.) Place chocolate shell on baking sheet, rounded-side sown; refrigerate immediately until ready to serve.

*Note: When adding layers of chocolate and when unmolding shells, work on one shell at a time; refrigerate remaining shell.

Now I understand the process. Will need to do a trial run on this. Can anyone think of a reason these couldn't be prepared a few days in advance and frozen? I'm thinking I'll more freezer space than refridgerator. This recipe looks fantastic! Thank you!

Paul

Paul,

My wife held her in the refrigerator. She placed several in each ziptop bag and they worked out fine.

She doesn't know about the freezer, thinks they'll be fine. You could do a test batch to find out.

Jim

Back