Bacon brine question

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I''ll be taking my belly out of the brine shortly, but noticed that the recipe on saucissonmac doesn't indicate whether or not it should be rinsed. My assumption is that it should be. Anyone care to differ? Thanks!

J

I believe it should be rinsed. Rather than gamble on an over-salted piece of belly, slice off a small piece now and fry it up in a pan. Taste it. Too salty? Rinse/soak (in ice water) a litte longer. Continue the process until the meat tastes right for you. I've got belly and pork loins for Canadian bacon in the fridge drying for a short smoke tomorrow
icon_wink.gif

Paul

Thanks Paul.

That's exactly what I did. The test piece I fried up was definitely too salty, so I rinsed again, then soaked it for about 40 minutes. It's a small piece of belly, so the two day brine probably should have been cut to 1-1.5 days. Either way, it's going into the smoke tomorro.

I would rinse it. I know i complained about mine being to salty the same day as i smoked it but after 2 days in the fridge i think the salt settels a bit. Couse the last peice of the meat was really good flavour wise and not to salty.

What brine did you use?

Rinse it off, pat it dry. Then take a small sample and fry it up to taste for salt only. If too salty soak for 30 minutes in clear water and repeat.

Back