Making my 1st pancetta - sort of.

Branon S.

TVWBB Super Fan
I received the Charcuterie book for Xmas and have been reading it on an almost daily basis. After checking with a few butchers with no luck I found a slab of Fresh Pork Side at Global Foods. GF is a really neat store in Kirkwood, MO for you local folks. They have some of the best prices in town for fresh peppers.

It may not be proper pork belly but I think it's close enough.
IMG_1563.jpg

IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

Post trimming and skinning.
IMG_1575.jpg

The cure. I have not found pink salt except for online but I also haven't tried to find it locally yet. I used Tender Quick and most of the spices called for in the book minus the juniper berries.
IMG_1577.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

See ya in 7 days.

Looking good Branon!
Thanks for the tip on Global Foods, I'll be checking them out.

Buchheit's in Herculaneum has pink salt under the LEM brand. It's just called "LEM cure"
Bass Pro and/or Cabela's might have it too.

Good luck on the pancetta!

I saw one of your posts about you finding it in a Farm and Home type store and figured it was Bucheits. I live in Imperial and will be heading down there this weekend.

Where do you get your pork bellies from?

Branon,
My last belly was from a half hog split with my daughter.
It was pen raised, and hormone free from a local farmer.
I would have to ask her for more info.

Have you asked at Herrell's Market about bellies?
I did a few years back, and as I recall they said they could get them in, but I never put in an order.

I live near LA, outskirts of Lower Arnold.
icon_smile.gif

Looks good so far Branon!

I guess you will be sorry though,For not making more at the same time.

Good luck and keep us updated.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wolgast:

I guess you will be sorry though,For not making more at the same time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's all they had.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Correll:
Have you asked at Herrell's Market about bellies?
I did a few years back, and as I recall they said they could get them in, but I never put in an order.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did ask the butcher at Herrell's and he acted like I was asking for a moon rock. He said its not something he can even special order (jowls or bellies).

Johnny's in Festus has fresh pork bellies but they said they are portioned in 1-2 pound pieces and will not have more whole bellies for several months.

Williams Brothers Meat Co. in Washington has bellies and can get Jowls if you call ahead. I might head down there after I burn through all my local choices.

I didn't get a chance to speak to the butcher at Global foods but it looks like they butcher their own pigs based on all the crazy cuts they had that you don't find in most butcher shops (whole pig legs and lots of different tongues). Looks like they smoke their own bacon too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I did ask the butcher at Herrell's and he acted like I was asking for a moon rock. He said its not something he can even special order (jowls or bellies). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any butcher should be able to get you a case. Last one I got, had three sides at 12# each and it was $2 per pound. The whole case was under $70 and I split it with two other guys.

When I called around, I had at least three places that would order me one, so I picked the guy I liked the best.

Branon.......I know this would be a drive for you (I'm guessing around 40 miles), but Hansen Packing Meats in Jerseyville, IL can get you all the belly you need. Just call them and they'll work with you. I bought 50 lbs there last year and they had my order and several hundred pounds for another customer. They were nice to do business with.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Fischer:
Branon.......I know this would be a drive for you (I'm guessing around 40 miles), but Hansen Packing Meats in Jerseyville, IL can get you all the belly you need. Just call them and they'll work with you. I bought 50 lbs there last year and they had my order and several hundred pounds for another customer. They were nice to do business with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the heads up! I'm checking out a few more local places today but I might give them a call.

If any local St. Louis folks want to go in a on a case of bellies or any type of bulk purchase to lower the price let me know.

Tom,
What is Hansen's price per pound for bellies?

Mateker's in south STL county, and Kerna Meat in Gray Summit want nearly $3/lb.
I also called Global Foods, and they charge $2.69/lb for a whole belly.

I phoned Hansen's today and they were going to contact their supplier for a price. He is supposed to call me back. I'll update this post when I receive the info.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Fischer:
I phoned Hansen's today and they were going to contact their supplier for a price. He is supposed to call me back. I'll update this post when I receive the info. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Tom!

Thanks Tom,
Guess I'll wait until I buy another half hog.

Maybe the price will go down if the commodity market stops trading them.
Article here.

I just read the article. There is a funny comment at the bottom.....I didn't know there was a bacon eating season either. I wonder when it is??

BTW....I already applied the cure to the belly I just bought. I used the maple sugar/maple syrup/ salt/pink salt mix. Flip for the next seven days and smoke next weekend.

The Pancetta has been drying in the basement since Wednesday night. It looks and smells great. Will post some updated pics soon.

Thanks for all the price searching everyone is doing. Like a I said before if anyone wants to go in on a case of bellies just let me know.

Back