Weber briquettes?

Arild Haga

Is Weber briquettes available in US or is the only "correct" brand Kingsford?

Where i live in norway the Kingsford is not available and i have started to wonder why i am not seeing the Weber briquettes used on tvwbb?

Arild

I never heard of Weber briquettes, sure would like to try them, if they are to be had in the US. Kingsford is a brand name here in the US, not necessarily "correct", as there are a lot of people who use other brand names.Hope that helps.

Weber briquettes were available in the U.S. until sometime in the late 1990's. They were a large, natural briquette made from just hardwood charcoal and a binder. I used them a few times and they were nice, but very expensive and not widely available.

Kingsford is the most popular brand of charcoal briquette in the U.S. but there are lots of other good brands. And of course, many people prefer lump charcoal to briquettes, and lump works great, too.

Regards,
Chris

I think Arild was probably implying that they're sold in Norway, too. I imagine this is a private label deal for Weber where someone manufactures and puts Weber's name on them. Was probably the same for the old US version, too.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, Weber briquettes is widely available i norway.

(I use these briquettes and i also use lump charcoal from B&B, oak and mesquite).

Weber is "constantly" changing the briquettes and packaging, the reason is probably as Chris describes a "private label deal".

Arild

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
its sold in germany.
http://www.weberstephen.de/Zub...40&ProductID=PROD443 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No surprise there.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Does anyone know why they don't want to compete with Kingsford here in the US? Seems like if Stubbs, Royal Oak, Wicked Good, and others could make some money off a better briquette that WEBER certainly could.
icon_confused.gif

there is no understanding weber on sooooo many fronts. the u.s. gets about the least choice of so many things. maybe if everyone just stopped buying their stuff it might get their attention.

If you take a look at Weber's corporate sites in Europe & Africa (where Weber Briquettes are available), you will find no mention of Weber briquettes. Weber wood chips & fire starters, yes - but not briquettes.

The labels on the UK/Europe are dramatically different than the South Africa packages.

If I remember correctly, the Weber briquettes that were once sold here only licensed the Weber name. They were not made by Weber. I believe the same thing is what brings Weber Briquettes to market in Europe & South Africa. So this isn't a case of Weber offering a better selection elsewhere. It looks more like no one in North America wants to pay licensing to Weber to label their briquettes.

Now one thing that is available in Europe that is hard to find here is this:

41O2tMwjfpL._SS500_.jpg

and this:

41zANTd%2BUUL._SS500_.jpg

and this:

41WFl8tplbL._SS500_.jpg

and how about this little number...

31BGTNLjQtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

With a little work & payment of shipping, you can have any of these... brand new.
icon_biggrin.gif

According to Amazon UK the Smokey Joe in "blue wave", "spring green" and "ivory" are £53.99 or $88 in the US. The 22.5" OTG in "blue wave", "sping green" or "ivory is £211.76 or $345.17 USD. Why do they cost so much over there? Are the VATs that much???

I have seen that someone at tvwbb is commenting on the vide range of colors etc on Weber products in europe.., but no one is talking about the cost level
icon_smile.gif

Yes Brian, this is VAT/tax/customs.

Example from Norway:
WSM-18,5" is $610
OTG-22,5" is $415
Summit S-670 is $5910
1 gallon gasoline is $10,5 (65-70% is tax).

Best regards
Arild

I have tried several brands of briquettes (Kingsford is not available in Sweden) and the "Weber Grill Briquettes Premium" are, by far, the best I've used.

They are, however, quite expensive. I usually pick up 10 kg bags (about 20 pounds) for 130 SEK (approx $20). I took a quick look at the package and I believe that the briquettes are manufactured in Germany.

(Brian: The VAT in Sweden is 25% on non-food items!)

Weber briquettes are non-natural, and are quite similar to Kingsford Blue, although the ash seems to a bit heavier and more yellowish. I quite like them for smoking because they burn so long, but for grilling I found some Swedish briquettes called Skogens which I really like. They're natual, and burn much hotter and are quicker to light than the Weber stuff.

-Mark.

Back