22 WSM First Cook

BillW

TVWBB Member
Finally, had time to get a cook going on my WSM. I used the basic bbq chicken recipe in the beginner section for two whole fryers. All I have to say is.... OH MY GOSH! Even with just a simple recipe, the chicken that was produced was better than anything I've ever tasted in any restaurant. I was given some smoke wood as a b-day present, so I chose alder to smoke the chicken. At first I was a little concerned about the fire being too hot, but I just followed the Chris's directions and the smoker settled down. My wife thought the WSM looked like a spaceship with all of the smoke coming out of it, but that settled down too. I took the chicken off when the thigh meat was close to 170 and the breast meat was 165. I was worried that the white meat was going to be too dry. I'm not much of a white meat eater, but it was so tender and juicy I enjoyed it more than the dark meat. I was so excited and hungry over my accomplishment that I forgot to take pics. Sorry! While I was in the middle of my cook I noticed the weber therm went down to about 320 while my Polder read 375 in the top vent. I've read the thread in the forum regarding the 2009 therm temp discrepancy so I tested the therm in boiling water tonight and it is at 210-212 right on the money. I'm not going to worry about it because I'm planning on ordering a Maverick ET-73. I'm just glad the Weber therm is not broken! I will use the Weber dial as a guide and not treat it as gospel as to what's happening at the grill level. I'm just sooo excited about the great results and can't wait to do more! Thanks to everybody in the forum for your patience with us noobs! You create a friendly atmosphere that we can share ideas and learn from each other. Sorry for the run-on posting!

Congrats on your first cook.

I posted about my first smoke a few days ago. And you'll see I also had the same problem with the Weber thermometer. Mine would get stuck at 240 and wouldn't go any highter. Even though my ET-73 was reading higher at the grate.

Good deal, Bill! Glad your first cook went so well...your "relax and it'll settle down" approach is the real key to WSM
icon_wink.gif
... that keeps folks from over correcting and chasing temps
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Great job on your first cook. As Rondo sez re: your approach; let the WSM do its "thing" since there is no need to keep correcting and chasing temps.

joe

Hey Bill, Great to hear about your first smoke. There's no holding you back now! Just wait until you try ribs or pulled pork or brisket. I'm excited for you cause this is how I felt. When the heck, I STILL feel like this whenever I spark up the WSM!

Back