New user Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I received the Smokey Mountain Cooker for Xmas from my kids. I have managed to smoke 12 briskets, a pork butt, and a few roasts and about 50 chicken breasts (lots of happy neighbors and friends). The outdoor temp here in the Pacific Northwest hovered between 30 and 45 degrees F most of the cooking time. I was impressed with the fact the temp stayed constant at 225F and did not vary more than about 10 degrees thru this whole period on one full load of charcoal with some chunks of hardwood. After finishing up brisket the coals lasted another 4 hours for the chicken breasts. WOW this was unbelievable. I picked up this following hint somewhere. I use a Taylor candy thermometer thru the lid. To avoid the lid temp affecting the thermometer reading, I use a wine cork stuck in one of the top vents and the thermometer stem stuck thru the cork (hole was drilled thru cork). For the filling the water pan I found using a water bottle with tubing attached allows easy filling from the fire door. One last comment was that to sweeten the smoke I found throwing pieces of onion on the fire in the first hour tends to add a nice sweet taste to the meat. I appreciate all the good comments on this bulletin board. I hope folks contine to share their experiences; it is very helpful

Alan,
I live in the Northwest, as does Mr Minion, and we both are probably wondering how come we have yet to be invited over to help you break in your new WSM.

Thanks for the idea about the onion--that sounds like a good idea--I have tried using apples and it tended to just become nearly applesauce. Did your onion get entirely consumed by the coals or was it also a dark mushy mass at the end of the cook cycle?

Well Dale and Jim,
Being I am a beginner at all this I wanted to avoid as much embarrassment as possible so laying low until I get a few cookoffs under my belt. My family enjoys my BBQ but thats because they don't know any better. Once they taste some of the BBQ at the competitions I will be in deep trouble(smile).

Regarding the onion, I pull it apart so you have onion rings and throw a few rings in at a time onto the coals. They get consumed thru the course of the cooking. Normally half of a small onion will be more than enough. Ooooooh that smell of post oak, little mesquite and a few pecan chunks along with that sweet onion smell. Brings back the days of Humble, Texas area (grin). Dang I need to do a couple more briskets, this is making me hungry
smile.gif

Heck,
We are in the NW too (Naches-West of Yakima)
I was thinking of having a fun BBQ contest in Naches ....would ya come?

------------------
Regards,
--
Steven A. Davidson, President
Ma's Smokin Chips, Inc.
PO Box 433
Palouse, WA 99161
Phone 509.878.1475 9am-5pm PST Monday-Friday
Fax 810.314.2439 24/7
http://www.smokinchips.com
Certified allexpert at <A HREF="http://allexperts.com
Subscribe" TARGET=_blank>http://allexperts.com
Subscribe</A> to our newsletter for deals, updates and recipes at
newsletter@smokinchips.com Put SUBSCRIBE in the subject line.

Steve,
I may need a few BBQ cookoffs under my belt before I could be ready but would like to join in the fun. I hope to have my second Weber soon so should have the tools, just need a bit more cook'n knowhow. Heck you are over in God's country too; I think that would be fun.
smile.gif

I think we may...and get some sponsors..
figure around 3-500 total...
will that work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back