Does anyone have an Advantium Oven?

We've had an Advantium since 2000 or so. Can't live without it. It blows away any microwave oven. If you're going to use it to bake something, remember to use the black tray. Otherwise, you can also use it like a microwave too, using the white tray.

Funny story. I worked for a company that sold high end appliances, (Wolf, Viking, Dacor etc.) When GE came out with the Advantium we displayed a working model in the showroom. One day my boss said, "We should try this thing out and see how it performs. I went to the store and bought a potato, a pre seasoned thick pork chop, some canned biscuits, and some cookies. Everything went well until I cooked the pork chop. It smoked the showroom so bad that we had to open all the doors and put a commercial fan in the door to the warehouse. The showroom smelled for two weeks, but that chop was delicious.

We've had an Advantium 120 since we built our house in 2005. On the whole I have been pretty happy with it.

A couple of things to note:

Do a web search on how to replace the halogen bulb that lights the oven's interior. I have replaced mine three times now. Once under warranty and twice I have replaced it myself. It is a $6.oo bulb at Home Depot, but a $140 bill to have a service man out to replace it.

Be careful when using the black metal plate for the oven/speed cook feature. If the food or containers catch on the walls of the oven and stop the metal plate from rotating, it can cause the silicone feet to break off of the supporting ring underneath the plate.

Other than those two things, it has been a great tool. Especially for entertaining on the holidays when a second oven is very helpful.

Experiment with the speed cook function and record your cooks for future reference, it is a learning process that you will become more comfortable with as you use it.

18" WSM
2 18" Weber kettles
Genesis 2000

Thanks. So far we have done a bunch of frozen pizzas, fish sticks, and a really good turkey breast. I havent had much time to experiment but Im looking for recipes and things I can adapt.

Back