Moomies Famous Hamburger Buns

Randy Parr

TVWBB Super Fan
I recently went onto the KCBS bulletin board and saw them discussing these hamburger buns. I have frequented the King Arthur website where Moomie is a legend in her own time. I've never been much of a baker and was assured by so many members that these buns were foolproof so I made them and they are! I went to the site and asked Moomie for her permission to post it for the members here and she graciously agreed. Not only easy, these buns are the best I've ever tasted and lasted almost a week still tasting fresh. I took this recipe and made smaller versions for dinner rolls for Thanksgiving and got raves!
Most serious bakers know about King Arthur Flour, and I recommend it for this recipe. If you can't find it locally, they have a toll free number and will tell you where you can find it. You can order it online, but shipping is expensive. If you don't have a bread machine, somewhere, I have a version for a mixer, let me know.
This will go great with pulled pork, I promise you'll love it.

Submitted by: Moomie
Category: Yeast Bread/Rolls (not sourdough)
Last Updated: 4/15/2003

? Hamburger Buns
? 1 c water
? 2 tbsp butter or margarine
? 1 egg
? 3 1/4 c. flour
? 1/4 c. sugar
? 1 tsp salt
? 3 tsp instant yeast

? Place all ingredients in your bread machine. Select dough. Allow to run cycle.
? Dump out onto lightly floured surface. Divide into 8 pieces. With each piece, slap into a bun shape. Usually 4 or 5 slaps will do it. Place on greased cookie sheets or your bun pans, cover; rise about 30 to 40 minutes.
Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes til golden. Cool on wire racks. I like to add a tsp of onion powder and about 1/2 tsp dried onion to the dough in the bread machine. It maks a light onion-y flavor that it wonderful!
? When I do these for burgers, I split the bun, butter, and fry in a skillet til brown. Yummy! They make great sandwich buns too! Nice and soft! You can't go wrong with this recipe!

? Moomie's Food Processor Buns (directions by Karen Noll)

? Place flour, sugar, salt and instant yeast in the bowl of the food processor (7-cup or larger model) fitted with the steel blade. Pulse ingredients briefly to combine.

? Add the egg and butter or margarine, and pulse briefly again to combine.

? With the motor running, add the water (90 ? 95 degrees) slowly through the feed tube just until a rough dough ball forms, usually about 20 seconds. Stop the machine, check the consistency of the dough (it should be slightly sticky), and adjust water/flour if necessary. Process for an additional 20 seconds, for a total processing time of no more than 45 seconds to avoid overheating your dough.

? Place in a slightly oiled bowl or dough rising bucket, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and let rise for about an hour until doubled in bulk.

? Continue with directions for shaping and baking.

? Notes:
? To include your favorite variations:
? - Dry flavorings (like onion powder or Penzey?s Foxpoint seasoning) should be added with the flour
? - If you are using honey or molasses instead of sugar, add with the butter and egg

? Thanks Karen! ---Moomie

Hi Randy,

I'm curious about Moomie and this King Arthur web site. I did a search but couldn't find anything that looked close. What's the url?

Dave

John,

Sorry about the delay, I had problems finding the recipe. Here it is:

MOOMIE'S BEAUTIFUL BURGER BUNS
This is a special recipe from Moomie, a great friend on King Arthur Flour's "Baking Circle" message board. A bunch of us has tried these, and everyone has gone crazy for these delicious buns. The flavor and texture is out of this world! You'll never buy another plastic bag of squishy buns again!
Make these in your bread machine as Moomie does, or by the manual/mixer method as I do. The key to success is to remember that soft rolls require soft dough. It's easy to double---everything can be increased by the same proportions.
Yields 8-10 buns or one 8-1/2x4-1/2 loaf

3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (King Arthur's) *
1/4 cup sugar
3 teaspoons instant yeast
1/2 teaspoon dried onion flakes or 1 tsp.onion powder -- optional
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter -- melted
1 egg
1 cup warm bottled water (100-105 deg.)

Manual/Mixer Method: In a mixing bowl, place flour, sugar, yeast, onion flakes or onion powder if used, and salt; mix well with paddle attachment of mixer. Add egg and melted butter; begin mixing on low with paddle attachement. Gradually add water; mix dough until well-combined. If kneading by hand, turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead about 15 minutes or until smooth and elastic (dough should still be quite soft). If kneading by mixer, change to dough hook and knead 3-4 minutes, adding flour or warm water as needed, until dough is soft, smooth and elastic. Place dough into an oiled bowl; cover with plastic wrap and set aside until doubled in size.

Bread Machine Method: Place ingredients into bread machine in the order required by manufacturer. Let the machine run its complete cycle. Turn out onto floured surface and knead by hand 1-2 minutes until dough feels "right".

Divide the dough into 8 or 10 pieces. Moomie says "Slap the dough 4-5 times into bun shape, about 7" in diameter"; or shape into rounds for dinner rolls. Put buns on a lightly oiled cookie sheet and let rise about 30-40 minutes. Bake in 375-degree oven 12-15 minutes or until golden.

For burgers, split buns horizontally, butter cut surfaces and fry in butter in a large skillet.
----------------------- For Bread: Keep dough in one piece, shape into a loaf and place into an oiled 9-inch loaf pan. Use a shine-y 9 inch aluminum pan, bake the loaf at 350? for 35 minutes exactly. As soon as it's pulled it from the oven, turn it out onto a wire wrack and brush the entire surface with butter. YUMMY!!!!
--------------------- For fabulous mini-buns or dinner rolls: It's our favorite! When I do dinner rolls, I divide the dough into 12 pieces, put it into a greased 9x11 inch pan, bake at 375? for about 15 minutes. They are high light and squishy!!!!

[Back to the Archives] [Back to the [Bread Box]

IF I wanted to use WW flour in this recipe given gluten issues what might be changed in this process? If anyone can help that would be great as I try to only use WW flour. Thanks in advance....

You might want to use only half WW flour and the other half AP. Not sure what else to do.
You can go onto the community at King Arthur and post the question, I'm sure you'll get an answer there.
Got my dough in the proofer as we speak....

Nice!! Ok thanks I will try that first 1/2 and 1/2 but in the meantime will post that question on that forum... Thanks!

Rich, it's been a while since I made these. I used half whole-wheat flour (white whole-wheat actually) and kept to the 1 cup water. If you have a scale that weighs in grams, write down the weights of all the ingredients including the yeast and salt, except for perhaps the flavorings.

Then you'll have a good base from which to make adjustments. Volume measurements are not very accurate. Any more whole-wheat than half, you'll probably need an extra teaspoon or two of water.

Stir your flours before spooning them into a dry-measure cup (one that has a handle), not a Pyrex cup with a spout, and level it off with the flat edge of a knife or dough scraper. (You probably know this already, but someone else might not.)

Hope this works well for you. Let us know your results.

Rita

Rita thanks! I have yet to make these but plan on the first batch tonight and will ket you know how I make out.........Thanks for the help! =)

Back