Grill Burner Front to Back

Robert T.

TVWBB Super Fan
In starting my search for a new gasser, I want to find one that has the burners going from the front to the back. I think this configuration makes it much easier to cook indirect. Unfortunately, unless I am mistaken, I think that the only Weber that has the burners this way is the Summit. Although this is one I am considering, I was looking for my other options. Any thoughts?

Buckeye Bob

Bob

I understand your thinking with this. You are correct, in that in a front to back configuration just using the outer burners, it is easy to cook indirect using this generally accepted method. The Summit 450 or 650 is the ideal gasser from my point of view to use, however I am not aware of all that there is to offer on the North American market so I can not do a fair comparison.
I have a Genesis 320 and absolutely love it I can do just about anything with it except emulate the slight additional flavour that you get from using Charcoal.
I love the fact that I can get closer to the cooing surface and not reach over the burner controls.
Yesterday I had to cook 60 chicken wing pieces (wingettes)(we cut the wing at each joint and throw away the tip) I did them Asian style with honey, soy, oyster sauce, Chinese five spice, garlic flakes, Ketchap Manis and a dash or two of Tabasco. Because of the high sugar (honey) content I cooked them indirect on the Genesis - no problem. I placed 2 doubled over sheets of foil on the grills leaving an air gap of about 1" or so all the way around. I then used 2 oven wire grill tray and placed them on top of the foil. The grill trays have a side about 1" high which lifted them off the foil. I then put all the wingettes on the wire racks and Closed the lid. 20 minutes later I brushed them all with honey again and cooked them for about another 5-8 minutes. They were cooked to perfection. I had the outer two burners on high and the middle burner off.
I will regularly cook indirectly using this method or a variation of it depending on what I am cooking or how much.
In essence all you need to do is create a barrier between the direct heat (foil or foil tray and have a cooking rack on top with an air gap of at least 1/2" (1" is better) between the foil and the cooking rack. This allows a convection effect to occur and enables even cooking. I can cook cakes, muffins, bread anything really using this method. You can do the same with the Summit and increase the indirect cooking zone in it as well.

I hope this gives you an insight as to how indirect cooking can be achieved on any gasser whether the burners go front to back or right to left.

You should consider the other options such as an infra red rotiss burner, SS rods and SS flavouriser bars, electronic ignition, grill lights, larger cooking area and such like.

Either model you won't be disapointed.

Regards

Back