Brine for Chicken, Turkey and Ribs: Maple Syrup, Brown Sugar & Apple Juice

Jim Knight

TVWBB Member
Last Month BBQBOSS posted this on about.com barbeques and grilling forum. I triied it today on cornish hens and doubt if I'll ever use anything else on chicken. Plan to try it on ribs soon. The 24 hour soak time was for turkey. I only soaked the cornish 4 hours and they were great!

Soak it for 24 hours in a brine that consists of:

1 - cup kosher salt
1 - cup brown sugar
1/2 - cup maple syrup
2 - quarts apple juice
1 to 2 - quarts water

Smokin' Jim in NC

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Knight:
[qb] Last Month BBQBOSS posted this on about.com barbeques and grilling forum. I triied it today on cornish hens and doubt if I'll ever use anything else on chicken. Plan to try it on ribs soon. The 24 hour soak time was for turkey. I only soaked the cornish 4 hours and they were great!

Soak it for 24 hours in a brine that consists of:
1 - cup kosher salt
1 - cup brown sugar
1/2 - cup maple syrup
2 - quarts apple juice
1 to 2 - quarts water

Smokin' Jim in NC [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I was just doing some digging for the heck of it and found this thread. Just wanted to note that BBQBOSS did'nt really post this. I posted it as a reply to BBQBOSS. My username over there is bdf24.

And yes I agree this is my all time favorite for turkeys. I have'nt tried it on anything else yet but I think I will. I'm glad you liked it Smokin' Jim. I came up with it after many experimentations smoking turkeys. This is the one that seems to get the best results (and the most praise). Nice sweet flavor you can really taste thru out the meat. Along with the sweet smokey flavor of the apple wood smoke. It's GREAT!

Sorry I credited it to the wrong person. I used a mixture of apple and wild cherry. Really great cornish hens.

Thanks,
Smokin' Jim in NC

This was exactly what I was looking for!
Using it today on a 7lb roaster that I plan on cooking on the WSM. I plan on brining for a couple hours...too long?

Back