Baseball Brats

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
icon_razz.gif
'scuse me Don....
Grilled more brats from Jacob's in Appleton in honour of today's games.
Then served em up in a few rolls I made using bread dough from a (modified) recipe I found in an old Mother Earth News magazine.
Added a coupla unconventional sides to the brats, poured a Mexibrew and before too long, I was thru.
icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you for viewing.

Those brats are homeruns! Bro, it's seven days a week with your great posts! Love it and keep up the good work. Thanks - G

Very nice! I just had Italian Sausages last night. Do you ever do the beer bath for the brats? Lately, I simmer mine in beer (preferably a dark Ale), onions and butter and then out to the grill til brown. I finish them back in the bath. Good stuff. Your pics are going to make me use vacation time.
icon_smile.gif

Man-O-Man, Jim. I love brats and those look great. Haven't had them in a while. Gonna have to remedy that...and soon!

Thank you guys!
Darrell, I use to do the bath thing, then I decided it was alotta messin' around so I now brown em direct for only a minute or so just til the sear marks show then indirect to finish em off. This process doesn't let you walk away from the grill, however, plant me there with a brew-or-two and I'm a happy cooker
icon_biggrin.gif

I'm with you Darrell I like to bathe any sausage before grilling. I use water, beer, onions and 6 whole cloves of garlic, bring to a hard boil add sausage and turn off the heat add sausage cover and set for 20 minutes remove sausage and let cool, refrigerate at least 5 hours or over night. I don't know why but when you precook and refrigerate it really brings out the flavor and tenderness. Yes it's more work but well worth it.

Well it seems that even in the "Land O' Cheese and Beer Farts" there's more than one way to cook a Bratwurst!
http://www.bratwurstpages.com/brats.html

I liked this statement:
"at a Wisconsin "brat fry", the bratwurst are cooked on a grate over charcoal, usually on a kettle grill."
PS: Some great info & recipes there too!
I do love Wisconsin!

that's a pretty accurate page of info you found there Bob... It's funny they mention, "First off, bratwurst are usually eaten outdoors. It's not at all unusual to eat them standing up,"... funny because ya never think about it, butt you DO stand and eet brats
icon_biggrin.gif

anyway, i believe brats are best cooked on the grill with no bath or bucket...just keep em turning over the fire
icon_razz.gif

and anytime yer near this area Bob, you just swing on over and we'll cook up a good ol' platter of food for ya
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">anytime yer near this area Bob, you just swing on over and we'll cook up a good ol' platter of food for ya </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ya, dat's good eetin', eh?
Thanks Jim, I may one day take you up on the offer!
I'll bring the <STRIKE>Bud</STRIKE> Millers
icon_biggrin.gif

icon_smile.gif
...and we'll get that Chuck Dugas from down the road over and Jim (JRPfeff) over from Pewaukee and Ron from 'Tosa and leif gabe from beertown we'll all eet like pigs
icon_biggrin.gif
(or Kings!)

gotta get goin' now, bowling night...and we'll kickbutt tonight!
icon_razz.gif

Hey Jim - I've been entertaining friends from Alaska for days and didn't get to the computer until now. Wow - That was a nice plate you fixed. Those Brat's looked fantastic. Thanks for sharing. Hope the bowling went well tonight. Bob

Back