Brinkman Charcoal Pan & The Piedmont Method

Toby Keil

TVWBB All-Star
Just received my two Brinkman charcoal pans to replace my WSM water pan. I’m going to set up the Piedmont method but instead of using copper tubing, wing nuts etc, I was going to try the 3 magnet’s instead. Any thoughts good or bad?

Toby, the magnets work great for me...! Plus, they pans are easy to separate in order to foil the top one or use one for water or sand, should you be so inclined. I'm not...!

I'm sorry if this has been covered before. What is the advantage to Two Brinkman pans? I know the Brinkman pans are larger. Why do you need two and what is the Peidmont method? Is that the clay pot?

Thanks in advance...

The Piedmont Pan is two Brinkmann pans (or one Brinkmann pan and one WSM pan, the way I did it), put together with an air space between them. The air space and the second pan appear to reduce the radiant heat effect (as compared to just using one empty pan) so that meat on the lower rack doesn't get overcooked. Some people get the same effect just by lining one pan with foil, keeping a space between the bottom of the pan and the foil (in some cases, by using a couple of balled up pieces of foil as a spacer). All these are just various ways of eliminating the need for water in the pan, without causing the meat on the lower grate to burn or cook too quickly. The bottom line is, without water, you aren't burning fuel just to boil away the water, and you don't have to worry about adding more water in the middle of a long cook (which might be at 2:00 a.m. if you're doing an overnight cook).

Originally posted by Mack P. Bray:
Toby, the magnets work great for me...! Plus, they pans are easy to separate in order to foil the top one or use one for water or sand, should you be so inclined. I'm not...!

Hey Mac, what size are your magnets (now that doesn’t sound right) and where did you get them? We have Home Depot, Osh Do-It Center out here in Southern Cal.

Originally posted by Toby Keil:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mack P. Bray:

Hey Mac, what size are your magnets (now that doesn’t sound right) and where did you get them? We have Home Depot, Osh Do-It Center out here in Southern Cal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can get a nice magnet out of a dead microwave oven. The magnetron in my old GE microwave yielded a magnet about 3" in diameter and maybe 3/8 inch thick. (No, it doesn't glow in the dark.
icon_smile.gif
)

Originally posted by Toby Keil:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mack P. Bray:

Hey Mac, what size are your magnets (now that doesn’t sound right) and where did you get them? We have Home Depot, Osh Do-It Center out here in Southern Cal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, Toby, I have no problem bragging about the size of my magnets...!

I use 3 sets of 3 stacked magnets; each stack = 11/16" wide and 5/8" tall.

Works great...!

Originally posted by Mack P. Bray:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Toby Keil:

Well, Toby, I have no problem bragging about the size of my magnets...!

I use 3 sets of 3 stacked magnets; each stack = 11/16" wide and 5/8" tall.

Works great...! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Mac, Where did you get your magnets?

I have the two Brinkman coal pans waiting for the Piedmont modification. I like the idea of the magnets, but they might loose magnification after repeated heating. Here's a good source for magnets, I was going to use 3/4 by 3/4 disks. They also sell versions for high temp but even those will loose mag at 600 deg I think.

Scroll to the bottom of this URL to see the specs regarding thermal properties/effects.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/specs.asp

I'd like to know how you make out in the mean time after several cooks.

Don't think they would be that much more expensive than stainless hardware and spacers.

Originally posted by r benash:
I have the two Brinkman coal pans waiting for the Piedmont modification. I like the idea of the magnets, but they might loose magnification after repeated heating. Here's a good source for magnets, I was going to use 3/4 by 3/4 disks. They also sell versions for high temp but even those will loose mag at 600 deg I think.

Scroll to the bottom of this URL to see the specs regarding thermal properties/effects.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/specs.asp

I'd like to know how you make out in the mean time after several cooks.

Don't think they would be that much more expensive than stainless hardware and spacers.

The only reason I’m toying with the idea of magnets is that foiling the pans would be a breeze and once the cook was over, clean up would be a snap. I’m totally sold on no water. Thanks for the link!

I think you have a great idea for the reasons you mention. I might just give it a shot and just see how the magnets are affected over time.

Thanks Mac, Where did you get your magnets?

Toby, I prowled around an Ace Hardware until I found the magnets that met my specs. And they're just as attractive now as the day I met them...!

--

Just an update. Tried the Piedmont pan w/magnets last weekend on a rib cook. The magnets are no longer magnets
icon_cool.gif

And these things were VERY STRONG neodymium. Have to say they performed as expected. The website gives great detail on impact of heat on magnets.

Guess I'll drill the pans out.

Posting this because magnets aren't that cheap.

I've been using the 2 Brinkmann pans for a couple years now. No hardware, magnets, etc...
just 4 small pieces (one inch long)of half-inch metal conduit in the bottom of the lower pan. Set them at the 12-3-6-9 positions...or wad up some aluminum foil in the bottom of the lower pan. It all works...and I wrap the top pan in foil also to catch fat drippings. Good for gravy-making if desired, and clean-up is easy.

I went on the BASSPRO internet site last week to buy a couple Brinkman pans and discovered that they are no longer available.Any suggestions as to where I can buy these pans?

WSM,OTG 22 1/2"

Rick Hawgeyes BBQ has them for $10. That's where I got mine. Remember you want the charcoal pan NOT the water pan. They sell both.
Charcoal Pan

Scan down the page they are on the right

15 1/8"dia. x 4 1/2" high
Brinkmann Charcoal Pan
Item #812-0002-0 $ 9.99

Dave - you stole my next plan. But I was just going to take my tubing cutter to that piece of copper that's been lying about
icon_wink.gif

Ok, so I order the Brinkman Charcoal Pan #10, part number 114-0002-0 from the Brinkman website, cost $13.95 per pan, order 2 pans - ordered on June 30, received July 10 - my issues are there was only one pan in the box (the receipt says 2 were shipped) and the one in the box is dented - poorly packaged and the box was beat up. Now, my frustration - I have literally tried to call both the (800)468-5252 as well as (800)527-0717 at least 50 times over the past day and it continues to be busy signal - the best is I did get through twice, but after going through the prompts, was on hold each time for over 30 minutes and had to hang up because of work. I have emailed them through their website, but still feel uneasy that any resolution will come of this - seems like a very poor operation at Brinkman. Definetly not impressed by the product/shipping or customer service, or non-existence of customer service.

After a few more calls today, and waiting on hold for over 30 minutes, got a real live person to talk with. Explained my situation, was advised that 2 new pans would be shipped to me ASAP. I'll keep you posted once received.

Back