First Overnight Smoke - Tips?

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,

I plan to do my first overnight butt next weekend (ribs this weekend) and was wondering if you had any tips or tricks. I'm using a WSM 18", planning to use the Minion method with as much charcoal briquets as I can fit along with wood chunks. I expect the butt to be anywhere from 8-10lbs but may vary depending on what I find. I don't currently use any thermometers to remotely measure the smoker temp but expect I may need an alarm if the temp drops while I'm sleeping? Maybe there is a good post somewhere on here that I haven't found yet? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Thanks Doug. I have read these but I'm looking for tips on the logistics of the overnight cook not the process of smoking a butt. I've done butts before but only on a grill with smoker bags starting in the early morning and not finishing until late. I want to be able to start around 10pm and eat around noon the next day. This is why I asked about a remote temperature guage to wake me if the temp drops too low (if sleeping is even an option).

James, don't worry about it too much (you won't sleep well anyway) if the temps drop... when you wake (ha!), you'll just add more hot coals to get it back where you want it... butt chances of it DROPPIN' are slim, unless you close the vents too much.
I've done overnights and left the 3 bottom vents open about 1/3 and the top ALWAYS open full. With plenty of Kingsford, like you've stated, you'll be fine.
I like to figure about 1 and a half hours to 2 hours per pound at 250'F.
I wish you luck, I have to run now for the evening.
Oooh yeah, if you wanna sleep AFTER you've put the butt on, have some fine rum on the rocks about one hour before heading to bed.
Sleep AND eet well!
icon_biggrin.gif

There's really not much to it. The temp is only going to drop if a) you run out of fuel, b) the coals ash over so much they're not getting any air, or c) something really weird happens with the weather.

I deal with A by packing it full with high quality lump, but I don't think you'll have too much trouble with whatever you're using. I deal with B by noticing it seems to happen after about 7-8 hours, so I set the alarm for 6 hours after I go to bed and poking the coals for a bit before going back to bed, and I deal with C by living in California.
icon_smile.gif

I like to see the temp stable for a half hour before I leave it. If it's been stable for a half hour it will likely remain stable pretty much until you hit fuel issues.

I do cook with water in the pan, which seems to be a minority opinion here, and have never had any trouble with running out but the 22" has a huge water pan and there's no risk of a spike since it's just not going above 260 if there's water in there, period.

If you are feeling paranoid I'd suggest setting the alarm for every 3 hours and just spending 5 minutes looking at the thing and if so don't touch anything, just go back to bed. If you touch something you'll need to make sure it did what you thought it did and you're going to have to sit there staring at the thing...

Back