Q100 vs other Qs

Jay Cook

Quick Question. Is the Q 100 worth getting at under $100? Or are the higher end models that much better they are worth the extra money?

Thanks

Jay
Quick answer ................... Yes

Better answer. It will all depend on what you want to cook, where you want to cook and how much room you have.

The Q100 is totally portable and can be used without a stand. It will cook for up to 6 people at one time (depending on what you are cooking. It is 9600 BTU which is ample heat for the size, however I found that I need to have it on high for most cooks. Because of the low profile you are restricted slightly as to the size of the roast. It is extremely gas efficient so it is very economical to run.

A comparison against the Q200 series
Q200 - larger cooking area. better temp control, higher heat, higher dome lid, temp gauge is available in Q200, can cook a larger variety of dishes, will fit both the weber veggie and grill trays, comes with 2 side tables (Q100 does not come with side tables - Q120 does). Q200/220 can cook for 6-8 people
Q100 has smaller transport footprint, uses slightly less gas and weighs less.
Q300 is a stationary BBQ and can cook for 10 - 12 people.

Q series is an awesome BBQ range and whilst not idiot proof makes it easier to cook on.
Preheat time for all models is 10 minutes.

I own a Q220, I bought a Q120 for my son and demonstrate cooking on the Q300 this season

I hope this answers your questions, if not post them in this thread and I and/or others will provide additional info.

Regards

Hi there Jay,

Phil is pretty much the one to look to when it comes to weber Q's as he probably uses his Q220 more than all the other umpteen BBQs he owns(slight exageration but not by much hehehe)

I can however give you some insight to the Q100/120 as I've owned a Q120 (which is a 100 with fold out tables)for about 2 years and love it.
I cook on it all year round except for the real cold & wet days but mostly it's a year rounder for about 3-4 times a week so it gets well used.

As Phil explained, it's very limited in lid height for large roasts but for things like grilling meat of any kind it's fantastic and very economical using about 1/4 of the gas as a 4 burner.
It's just me & the wife here so it's great for the quick cook after work.
I've cooked for up to 6 people on it but in stages which is ok as I've got a 2 weber kettles on standby LOL
You can buy a little griddle plate that goes with the baby Q which is great for eggs and onions & anything that might be a bit runny.

It'd be a great little grill to take camping and/or on vacation to the beach or on a apartment balcony but if I was to buy another Q, it'd probably be the Q220 (Q200 with the table flaps out the side).only because I'd like a bit more grill space for grilling lots of vegatables.
The Q series are easy to use, relatively easy to clean and easy to stow away when not required but I'm sure once you start using a Q you will never want to store it away....ever!!

cheers

Davo

Hi Jay,

I have the Weber Q 300. I gotta say its sensational. As Phil said they`re not idiot proof, but compared to the results of my last generic brand, this thing rocks... The temp is so easy to control and very responsive when turned up or down..I only cook for two generally but love the size and ability of this bbq to do whatever I like... good luck and either way I`m sure you`ll love whatever one you get...

Trev
Perth W.A

Hi there Jay & congratulations and welcome to the world of Q cooking.You certainly have the correct surname for it LOL.

As I explained a little before that I have the little baby Q120 which is the Q100 with the side table flaps which are very useful for putting on light plates of food ready for the grill.
Very important to run the little Q for at least 10 minutes before adding food and you'll tast some of the best grilling you've ever tasted.
When I was looking at the Q series Webers before purchase, I too was a little skeptical about how well such a simple looking grill could possible produce great cooking results and took the gamble and bought it and of course...the gamble paid off big time and I love it. Down here in Australia, because the weather doesn't get too cold in winter, I use it all year round and generally 3-5 days a week so mine doesn't get to sit around idle for too long.I rarely cook in the kitchen and only do the food preparation there and then it's straight out to the pre-heated Q.

Hope you enjoy the experience Jay and if Phil Hartcher comes on (he is another Weber Q lover from downunder) and you ask him nicely, he may send you via email some great recipes in an e-book he's developed and that was written especially for the Weber Q series.
Phil will be down at his usual haunt today in Melbourne Australia demonstrating the Weber Q's for Weber Australia.

So Jay...don't just look at it....start her up and get cooking
icon_wink.gif

cheers

Davo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Phil will be down at his usual haunt today in Melbourne Australia demonstrating the Weber Q's for Weber Australia. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Davo
I am demonstrating on the Q300, Genesis E320 and the OTG Platinum plus. Muffins, Honey and Soy Chicken Wings, Grilled Chicken Breast, Lamb Rump Steaks, (Beef) Rump steaks on the Q.
Butterflied Leg of Lamb and Char Grilled Veggies on the E320 and Roast Leg of Pork with Roast Veggies on the Kettle.

My idea behind all the different dishes on the Q and Genesis is to show the different cooking methods that can be used and the versatility of the BBQs.
I cook the Steaks (Lamb and Beef) and Chicken continually to show how good, quick, easy and moist the food is. I have people walking away amazed that you can achieve that quality outside a high priced restaurant.
I have up to 20 people in front of me all day watching, learning, asking questions and of course tasting. I should start providing cooking lessons for a fee. I wonder how many people would actually pay?

I just love cooking on Weber BBQs especially the Q series.

Regards

I reckon it'd be a real battle drawing up a work roster at that place because everyone will be wanting to work the Saturday when Phil cooks.
icon_biggrin.gif

As for starting up your own BBQ classes, I don't think it'd be a problem for you.
Maybe you can ask the place you demonstrate if you could also use that as a recruitment place but I guess you'd have to ask weber as well.

Maybe Chris from WA might have a few ideas for you to start something up.

I have some friends nearby who is looking at starting a basic cooking classes for young people who are leaving or have left the family home and for guys who don't have a clue where to start. She also does some private catering and is a very good cook.

cheers

Davo

I was getting ready to post a question just like this. I haven't used my large gas grill in over a year for anything other than firing up my charcoal chimney on the side burner. I was going to replace it with a grill table like the one you see for the BGE but w/o the whole. I do still see a need for a gas grill especially now that it's dark at 5pm. The Q 100-200 is my first choice. I would mainly use it for quick burgers and hotdogs so i think it will do a great job at that.

Thanks for all the info.

Back