Used my Weber Wok for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne Dimirsky

TVWBB Super Fan
I recently bought a Weber Wok for my 22 1/2" OTS. Last night I used it for the first time to cook stir fry. It turned out great. My girlfriend had bought a pre-made package that had the mixed vegatables and a packet of sauce. She bought a package of chicken cut into strips. I cooked the chicken first and then added the vegatables and then let that cook for about 5 minutes with the lid on, stirring a few times, and then added the sauce and let the combination cook for about another 5 minutes with the lid on. The vegatables were very tender, just like I like them.

Another very nice accessory for the kettle. I plan on trying some other combos in it soon.

The Wok was a little hard to clean though.

Wayne

Wayne
Welcome to the wonderful world of wok cooking. It certainly is a great bit of kit.
Generally I use the wok with the lid off. Judging from your post you may not have enough heat and you were taking the lid off regularly so you were losing the internal heat, hence the long cooking time.
Try pyramiding the fire under the centre of the wok so it is just about or touching the bottom of the wok. you adjust the heat by flattening out the fire. You will be able to judge this with experience.
Cleaning is easy. you need a stiff bristled straw scrubbing brush and some water. After you have finished cooking pyramid the fire again, whilst you have the wok off the fire give it a rinse then put it back on with a little water and as the water is heating swirl it around with the scrubbing brush and scrub the wok with the brush, you can use a little detergent but I don't really find it very effective. the wok will not be shinning like new but it will be clean and will build up a seasoning over time. You can give it an occasional clean with a caustic oven cleaner to bring it back to as new if you wish.

Regards

great, i was planning on getting one but it went on the back burner so to speak, now its on the top of my list again. good deal a must though.
icon_smile.gif

Phil,
Actually I did pyramid the coal under the wok where it was actually touching the bottom of the wok. The cooking times I quoted in my post were actually the recommended cooking times on the package of stir fry vegatables. I will experiment some more on future cooks.

I did use a scrubbing brush to clean with and I got most of the black stuff off but I guess I could do better.

George, I think its a great accessory and one that I plan on using quite a bit. I think you would enjoy one.

Wayne

Wayne ,
I use a chimney of briquettes and have a faily large surface area of briquettes touching the bottom of the wok. Generally I only need to stir fry for a couple of minutes. I don't use a lot of liquid, I like the stir fry to still be crunchy fresh to a certain degree.
I don't use packaged as we have an abundace of fresh veggies available to us.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back