Fried Chicken suggestions

Anybody have a good fried chicken recipe? The wife has a recipe that sounds good, but we arent sure how much oil to use. A cast iron pan with a couple inches of oil or should we immerse the chicken in a fryer?

Thanks,
Chris

Either or it doesn't matter. One you will have to flip and the other cooks the chicken pcs all at one time.

My mother use to boil the chicken in buttermilk till done and let cool. After that, she would coat the chicken in a spicy coating and fry. This way you don't have to worry about the chicken cooking all the way through before the coating burns.

Another good recipe is from Food TV:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_31775,00.html

Can't go wrong with Paula Dean....

I like cast iron since it holds the heat and doesn't drop a lot when you add the chicken.

As long as you maintain the right oil temp and check internal temps in the chicken for done, there's no reason to precook the chicken. It's better to do it in batches than to overcrowd the pan. It is also important to give it plenty of head room in your pan when you add the oil.

I've tried this recipe by Michael Chiarello and it turned out real well.

I've been using Alton Brown's fried chicken recipe since I saw it. It makes fantastic fried chicken. And, as he points out...don't fully immerse the chicken in oil. It causes the skin to come off when you bite into it.

AB (and Poe)

Back