Turkey and ham at same time?

Mikey Stazz

Looking to do a turkey and ham for thanksgiving. Any suggestions on how to cook both at the same time using both racks of the WSM?

no problem cooking at the same time....One question is if the ham is fresh or cooked already. That will change the cook time for the ham.

I will be using a already cooked ham from our local smokehouse. My concern is that the turkey needs to be cooked at a much higher temp than what I would need to just warm the ham. Any suggestions on temps and times? I will have a 12 - 14 lb bird and a 9 - 10 lb ham. Thanks!

Just me, Mikey but if it says, fully cooked ham, might want to foil it a bit and warm it to around 140 and get it off top rack of WSM without anything in water pan--just foiled. In my experience, turkey's do lots better around 325. Won't get that on turkey with water in pan. Just heat the ham, give it a swipe of smoke, get internal to around 140 or so, maybe 150, could do a high heat glaze as well, but get it off and let bird go on bottom rack--if you go without water--bottom rack's hotter. Just me but not too fond of low and slow (dry) turkey. Just my .02. Good luck!

Back