Media Noche/Cuban Sandwich Variation on the Grill

Joel Kiess

TVWBB All-Star
First things first: I saw Bobby Flay do this on his "Grill It!" show. I don't think they gave a detailed recipe, and they didn't post one. It's a variation on a Media Noche, the popular Cuban sandwich of roast pork, ham pickle and cheese on a roll - done on the grill without the bread. A pork chop takes the place of the roast AND the roll.

Here's what I did:

2 butterfly ed boneless loin chops
Sliced Ham
Sliced dill pickles
Sliced Swiss cheese
Mustard
Mayo

Marinade:
Orange juice approx 3/4 cup
Juice of a lime
Cilantro - chopped
Garlic - smashed, chopped
salt
pepper

Make the marinade: In a bowl, mix the orange and lime juice, add the cilantro, garlic, some salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

Pound the chops thin - a 1/4 inch or less. I poured the marinade in a large zip bag, but a glass dish would work as well. Add the pork, and marinate at least a couple of hours. After marinating, drain the meat and lay out on a plate. I patted the face up side with a paper towel.

For each chop: on one half of the meat, spread some mustard. Lay on a few slices of ham, a few slices of swiss and then some pickle. Spread some mayo on the other half, then fold it over the first.

Grill the "sandwich" about 5 minutes per side - until the pork is cooked and the cheese melts. I let the sandwiches stand while I grilled some plantains to go with them.

I also made black beans over rice with it. Very tasty. The portions turned out quite large - we each ate about half of one.

Gosh darnit - I didn't even think to take a picture!

Yeah - it wouldn't hurt at all to leave it out. Honestly, I don't recall if he used it or not. It's a recipe that would allow a lot of room for improvisation.

This got me thinking if you could do something along the lines of a whole loin, cut with a 3-away butterflied, "stuffed" and rolled/tied...

Hmm. Now I have something to think about while I wait for this TS Fay to cruise by.

Thanks!

That sounds like a good idea. I could imagine any number of fillings/applications. Like an Italian version or Greek?

Back