Genesis Platinum C

Mark Godfrey

I can get a new Genesis Platinum C from HD for 575.00. Should I get it? Will they get hot enough to sear a steak? It will be ran on NG. I didnt notice does anyone know what cooking grates it has?

It will certainly get hot enough to sear a steak. You should get a high temp in excess of 600. I imagine it has the SS flat-tpe cooking grates, which are fine. You are paying some extra for the side burner, which is fine if you want it.

While the price is good, its still within the range of some of the ' 07 Webers which might bear some investigation.

As the expert carpenters say, "measure twice and cut once".

BTW, Mark, I see you're from Hillsborough. My son did a GI fellowship at Duke and lived in Hillsborough. First grandchild born there - nice place with lots of good memories for me.

Paul

Mark
The new genisis range is coming with 7.5 mm SS rods for the grill and the BTU is increased.
Pay the extra and get the new E320. Get the Side burner as it adds a new dimension to your outdoor entertaining. you may not start using it straight away but you will use it and be thakfull that you got it.

regards

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...The new genisis range is coming with 7.5 mm SS rods for the grill and the BTU is increased.
Pay the extra and get the new E320. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This always confuses me. I thought the E-310/320 came with the PCI grates and the "S" series started the SS rod type grate ? I think I've seen it in print both ways.

Paul

Paul G.
Sorry - I stand corrected - I just reveiwed the specs again, It is only the S-320 that has the 7.5 mm SS rods. IMHO the SS rods are by far the best to use, Weber should only offer them, it would certainly save confusion on variants.

Regards

Thanks for all your replys. I ended up buying the Platinum C. HD came off the price another $100.00 so there was no way I could pass it up. How accurate is the temp gauge on these things? If mine is right I should have no problem searing a steak. I lit it up and in under 10 min it pegged the gauge and had the flavorizer bars glowing red. I then turned it down to medium and let it run for about 15 min and it still stayed right at 600deg. Do you guys normally run all 3 burners when you are direct grilling?

Yes, for searing, I run all 3 burners at high. However, if your steak is less than 1 1/2 inches be careful. It will get overdone quickly. With one less than that, i just watch it and rotate at 2 min for 1 minute and then flip. When my thermapen hits 130, I'm done. With a thicker steak, after the flip, i turn off the center burner, turn the other 2 down some and wait for 130.

you got a great grill at a super price - enjoy !

Paul

Mark
An alternate way is to Preheat for 10 minutes with all burners on high. Place the steaks on and turn all burners down 2 strokes below the high setting. Depending upon the thickness of the steak and the required doneness (rare-medium-well done) flip at 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 minutes and cook for the same length of time on the other side. For a standard 19 mm (3/4") steak cooked to medium rare I do 2 1/2 minutes per side using these settings when demonstrating on the genisis and they turn out perfect. I use a timer when doing steaks and the like. I use a digital thermometer when doing joints or thick cuts and especially when cooking indirect.

Regards

Back