John's Grilled Cubed Steak

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
Cubed steak with a generous dusting of Cavender's Greek seasoning. Grill with pecan wood on high heat. It was better than most burgers!
I added a light dusting of flour-cubed steak usually hits the frying pan with a seasoned flour-I couldn't leave the flour off.

ok given your location and the fact that your using cube steak hope you can help me out. I would love a true southern recipe for country fried steak. I have made it a couple of times and can't seem to get it right but I'm just a yankee from mass

Well it is really simple. Season the cubed steak. My wife would use salt and pepper only. I would use some rub. Flour the meat and pan fry (not deep fry) in a cast iron skillet with vegetable oil, browning on both sides.
Gravy: add a tablespoon or two of flour to the skillet that has some oil left in it, salt and pepper, cook till flour takes some color add milk to comeplete the gravy. The more experienced cooks can comment better on the details...I cook by feel having watched others.
The scrapings off the bottom hold the secret to all the flavor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by G Rose:... I would love a true southern recipe for country fried steak. ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
country fried steak

Paul

G, I hope that helps. Everybody has their own way. The double dip before frying I have seen Emeril do with some of his frying. With country fried steak, I don't. Milk gravy was the custom in my wife's family. In my family, gravy was most likely a tomato sauce.

Back